Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applying EA at Schools

walt99walt99 Registered User Posts: 701 Member
edited September 2007 in College Admissions
If you apply EA at schools and aren't accepted - how does it work in terms of regular admission? I mean, do you drop to the regular admission pool automatically? Are you able to submit a new application for regular decision? Or, alternatively, if you're denied in EA, are you once and for all denied?

I've been looking for answers to this on various college websites - but haven't found it! Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post edited by walt99 on

Replies to: Applying EA at Schools

• worried_momworried_mom Registered User Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    You'll need to check with the specific schools you are applying to because each school is free to make their own rules. In general, though, you would NOT submit a new application for RD. You would either be deferred (and automatically be held over to the RD pool) or you would be rejected outright. (In which case, you can't reapply; they've already decided not to admit you.)

If you are deferred, you may be asked to submit additional information such as first-semester grades.
  • walt99walt99 Registered User Posts: 701 Member
    Thanks for your response worried_mom, however I have one more question if you don't mind. If you're rejected outright - is it usually because you're WAY below the other applicants standards? I mean - if I'm in (or just below) the range for a school - they usually won't reject me outright, would they?
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 30,044 Super Moderator
    There is no way to tell why they reject a student EA. You application is more than just your stats. You could be above the published statistical range and get rejected. There is not "usually" for why a student is rejected.
  • walt99walt99 Registered User Posts: 701 Member
    I understand that it varies by situation Chevda. But why would a college reject an Early Action applicant outright (thus not giving them the opportunity to be compared with the regular applicant pool) if they're in the range? (Assuming that they have no blemishes on their record).
  • vinvin Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    walt, i think its not predictable at all

i think there was someone on this website who got rejected outright EA to stanford but got into mit, and other HYP schools RD....
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 30,044 Super Moderator
    But why would a college reject an Early Action applicant outright (thus not giving them the opportunity to be compared with the regular applicant pool) if they're in the range?
    Because they didn't like the essays. Because the student indicated a major that the school doesn't have. Because they don't think the student will be a good "fit" for the school. Because the kid's ECs don't fit with the college's culture. Because they don't feel that the kid will contribute to the school. Because the recommendations aren't good. Because it was a full moon on an alternate Thursday.

There could be any number of reasons, which we don't know. And it happens. College admissions are not a logical process. Try to figure out "why" and you'll drive yourselves crazy.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Registered User Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    walt- the college admissions process is in no way comprehensible.

That is from our side of course.
    I know someone who got into Yale and Princeton, but got rejected from a school that could have been considered one of their safeties. Who knows why?
  • enderkinenderkin Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    safety probably knew that he was too good to be seriously considering it as his main college. if he had shown more interest or made a phone call, he would've probably gotten in.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Registered User Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    No, actually. She would have been thrilled to go there. I meant 'safety' as in it was a sure thing she'd get in, not as a fall back school.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    OP: if an EA/ED applicant is rejected rather than deferred or admitted, one can logically assume that the student is fell into the "unrealistic" pile. Now what got them there is anyone's guess.
This discussion has been closed.