Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2310 SAT Score, and a IB Candidate But Rejected?!

Replies to: 2310 SAT Score, and a IB Candidate But Rejected?!

• rocafeltonrocafelton Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    exactly sari. You should write each admissions office a letter to tell them that you're still very interested in their respective schools, and then follow up with any new accolades and a new transcript. Schools will be impressed by your level of commitment. Last year two of my friends were deferred and they both kept in touch with the admissions offices. Sure enough they were admitted to two good schools (One is top ten on US News).
  • mj93mj93 - Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    The 3.58 GPA UW is very low for a Stan/Yale applicant, too. Especially when there are so many 4.0 UW's applying.

GPA out of the context of the school means nothing. Obviously a 3.58 is very high at the OP's school if he is in the top 3% with it.
  • danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    rocafelton...
    My son went to Dartmouth and was a Pell Grant and SEOG recipient. He had a 2300 and SAT IIs of 800, 790 and 780.
    I've come to understand that his outcome was about right in this competitive world. Pretty phenomenal, come to think of it.
  • stupidkidstupidkid Registered User Posts: 607 Member
    If US IMO qualifiers get rejected from schools like Harvard, I don't see why 2400+4.0 people must be accepted. This is a dumb thread, if you don't have anything that can compare to the IMO, why even bother asking?
  • trackdude410trackdude410 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    mj93 1 thing here is we dont know whether the school ranks on wgpa or uwgpa, true if it is uw which i doubt then he is still doing very well however if its weighted well then that makes it much easier to get within that 3%. some weightings at HS are ridiculous but my school doesnt even weight so im just complaining my 3.9 isnt some 4.5 or something
  • kindaslick89kindaslick89 Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    The admissions process isn't fair, its too bad. If the ivies accepted every 4.0 uw gpa student with 2300 SATs theyd be accepting atleast 25 kids from my school. But they don't. There is always gonna be somebody out there with better stats. Just hope for the best.
  • grtskt89grtskt89 Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    You are missing the Questbridge hook you incredibly smart but obnoxious pompous a$$es responding on this thread. You are awesome OP!!!! I agree it would be helpful to know what it was - I think it was race not GPA
  • Ray192Ray192 Registered User Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    ROFL. I had better stats and I never thought schools like Stanford/Yale were shoo-ins. Quite the opposite, actually.
  • llpitchllpitch Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    I'm thinking you got deferred because of a combination of essays/gpa.

You still have a very good chance at RD though. Don't give up hope.
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    ur uw gpa is really low. and ur rank is soso. good luck in the regular round though!
  • AmbitiousteenAmbitiousteen Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    None of you guys take initiatives lmao....always take the oppurtunity that knocks on your door provided by your school...my couzin got accepted to both and im a shoe in to because i beat him in everything but me and him started a organization in our house to help send educational material to thrid world countries, and we went and got to visit ethopia and distribute medical/educational equipment....sure your underprivileged...hell so am I...but its how you can make use of your head and your contacts that will make you the smarter person IDIOTs...so what if you got a 4.0...if you got a combo of a 4.0 and socially active then yes ur a shoe in...but most of the candidates dont...and lack 1 or the other by little bit....they obviously did not see enough ambition towards helping people...they just saw a kid using his ecs for the sake of getting into their school......trust me i had 10 kids from my school who thought they were the best, joined ecs everything....had 4.0 uw and 2310's-2350's all rejected...and surprisingly my couzin made it...there you go buddy...get some initiative...your not outstanding....just cuz ur underprivilage doesnt make u special thinking u dont have oppurtunities...live with it like i do...im exactly in ur position but i make use with what ive got and so far im doing amazing.
  • AmbitiousteenAmbitiousteen Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    on top of that....im in ****ing canada....we dont got much going on here like persay ur multiple science/math contests fairs/research oppurtunities etc...so you should be happy that your living in a country that strives the best in those fields and provides oppurtunities like that...****...when will people value these things....come to canada and try to find these type of things....you wont.
  • BIGTWIXBIGTWIX Registered User Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    ur uwgpa completely sucks for any y or s applicant.
  • ViviVivi Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    It doesn't "completely suck", it's simply not top-of-the-nation. Not everyone can be getting 4.0's, and those schools don't want only 4.0's either. My opinion is still that all your activities lack focus. If you can really sell yourself that way I think your lower GPA won't matter so much.
  • AngelFidelisAngelFidelis Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    i dont think your gpa is so much of a serious issue as is the character you portray yourself to be. You're obviously and incredibly intelligent guy, but is that it to you? you have all these awards but where are the things that accentuate your character and your personality - not being sarcastic at all, what makes you a lively intellectual, not a nerdy bookworm - they want people who are going to bring personality to their school, not just somebody who has amazing stats (and your stats are amazing).

just dont worry about one school, deferment doesnt mean its over, and no matter what with those stats alone you'll end up going to an outstanding school
This discussion has been closed.