Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Top schools and high school "quotas"?

2»

Replies to: Top schools and high school "quotas"?

• Native NJNative NJ Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    Don't worry about who's applying from YOUR school...worry about all the other 1,000's from other schools! If everyone from your school is great (not just grades, but essays, etc.) it should not matter unless 20% of your school is applying. Applications are read in comparison to all others. Only at the END of the process where there is debate among many who could be admits or not, would school affiliation be a consideration.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    nretni wrote: "Unless multiple candidates can truly warrant an acceptance from one particular high school, it doesn't make sense for diversity to accept more than one. They want geographical diversity. Your odds are increasingly against you as more kids from your HS apply."

Well that's the issue isn't it? Schools will offer admits to those that they decide merit it. My local HS got 4 admits to Yale last year -- I think there were 6 apps. This is a HUGE statistical anomaly given the tiny overall admit rate. In prior years there'd be anywhere btn 0-2.

Schools may want regional diversity so applicants are in the same "pool" as everyone else in their region. Native NJ is right.
  • KeshiraKeshira Registered User Posts: 1,148 Senior Member
    Poseur, you don't need to worry for MIT. It's one of the more statistically focused schools--what it wants is raw scores, not only on SATs but also on highly ranked math competitions- and doesn't worry as much about diversity & extracurricular interests. I don't think it'll matter how many students are applying from your school :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.