Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

No 'One of the top few I've ever encountered in my career'

2»

Replies to: No 'One of the top few I've ever encountered in my career'

• newest newbnewest newb - Posts: 751 Member
    Sorry, but everybody knows that getting a "Top few" checkmark is equivalent to +500 on your SAT score; any other checked box is an automatic rejection.

We can't have anyone who isn't the best at everything attending our top colleges, obviously.
  • jmarinjmarin - Posts: 1,384 Member
    dude
    500 isnt even that good
  • sarisari Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Maybe newest means 500 points added to your SAT?

Anyways, IDK about teacher recs, but I know that for counselor recs at larger schools there is no way they can check off top few for all of them! That would give that kind of status to the entire school.

In the end recs are relative--as long as they are decent, you are ok. If amazing, it's an added bonus. If negative, well then, that's when you should start to worry.

I personally think colleges use the rec to check for the consistency of your perception of yourself (as conveyed in the application) with others' perception of you.
  • hpg90hpg90 Registered User Posts: 374 Member
    Colleges aren't stupid, if they see teachers writing one of the top in my career more than once very couple of years, it means nothing. I'd focus on the content of what they wrote. (I don't know how you saw yours, teachers in my school NEVER let students read them...)
2»
This discussion has been closed.