Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do colleges and ivies accept college credits from community college or online courses

college-momcollege-mom Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in College Admissions
Do top colleges and ivies accept college credits from community colleges or online courses???
Post edited by college-mom on

Replies to: Do colleges and ivies accept college credits from community college or online courses

  • sesses Registered User Posts: 2,027 Senior Member
    Most Ivy league universities have severely cut back on credit, only giving it out for 5s on AP tests, and occasionally then only after a student has completed a higher level course in that subject.

    Online courses are almost definite no's. Ditto with community college.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471
    Agreed with the first reply. This is a Frequently Asked Question here in Minnesota, where many high school students do their last two years of high school at a local college as PSEO dual-enrollment students. The general Ivy League (or other top college) rule is that credits from other colleges do NOT transfer for credit toward graduation from the Ivy. There may--or may not--be some possibility of using AP test scores to gain advanced standing.

    Taking college courses as part of a high school program is very common around the country

    Dual Enrollment of High School Students at Postsecondary Institutions: 2002-03

    and many applicants to Ivy League colleges have, as many Minnesota applicants to them have, a year or more of "college credit" before they go to the halls of Ivy for freshman year studies.
  • broetchenbroetchen Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    I have been told by some of the elite colleges, that while they will not accept credits for college courses that were used in a dual enrollment situation, i.e. to fulfill high school credits, if the courses were taken outside of high school programs as enrichment, there is some possibility of transfering credit upon department approval. Wouldn't be counting on it, but might be possible.
  • Charlie's WorldCharlie's World Registered User Posts: 493 Member
    The more credits that transfer the fewer credits you need to graduate-- translates into fewer $$$ they get for tuition. Crazy they'll accept a sophomore or junior transfer from say UMinn but not give the same college credit to a high school student. Another scheme schools are doing to get your $$$ is increasing the credits needed to graduate, esp. at public schools. Also, study abroad which often depletes schools of a year's tuition was once highly encouraged and now less so.
  • broetchenbroetchen Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    Actually before the dollar's steep decline, study abroad was a financial benefit to many of the colleges. The tuition they charged for the year was much higher than what it cost to study abroad. If you looked at what it would cost you to study abroad if you made arrangements directly with the foreign institution (which was very much possible) versus a private college's tuition -- huge discrepancy!
  • 1015222910152229 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Most Ivy League Universities accept freshmen.
  • MomCat2MomCat2 Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    Contrary to what some posters stated above, many selective colleges DO indeed grant credit for college courses completed while enrolled in high school, and it does not always need to be from a 4-year college. Here is a sampling of policies (note that the Ivies not listed below apparently do NOT grant credit for college work completed prior to HS graduation. The vast,vast majority of other colleges DO grant credit, with various restrictions):

    Cornell: Arts and Sciences transfers credit earned at other accredited collegiate institutions upon the recommendation from the relevant Cornell department. Some departments insist that courses acceptable for transfer credit be offered by strong four-year colleges or universities; others consider credits from junior colleges.

    College courses taken during high school may be available for transfer credit. No credit, however, will be awarded for courses taken during high school, unless the student attended the course(s) on a college or university campus (i.e., no credit will be awarded for courses designated college-level if the courses were offered in the student's high school). Further, no credit will be awarded for a college-level course taken during high school if the course was used to fulfill high school requirements or one of the 16 high school units required for admission to the College. While the College will transfer credits only if the grade you earned is a C or better, some departments insist on a higher grade for some courses; the College complies with that stipulation. If possible, obtain written approval from the relevant department before taking a course elsewhere.
    Transfer Credits

    Dartmouth: A small number of Dartmouth departments will consider granting placement and/or credit for college courses taken before matriculation at accredited four-year colleges and universities (consult individual departmental entries in Your First Year publication). Courses taken at community or junior colleges are not eligible for transfer credit. College transcripts for courses taken before coming to Dartmouth are placed in your student file in your dean's office. However it is your responsibility to pick up an Application for Pre-matriculation Exemption and/or Credit from the dean's office and present relevant transcripts, examinations, papers, catalogue descriptions and syllabi to the departments before the conclusion of the first fall term. Such "transfer credits" will count towards the maximum of four courses from other colleges or universities that may be applied to the Dartmouth degree.

    Note: Students often change their minds about courses and majors during their college career. Therefore, while you may see no purpose in arranging for prematriculation credit now, we highly recommend that you do so before the deadline since later requests normally are not considered.
    Transfer Credit

    Penn: College Transcripts should be sent by the Registrar's Office at your previous institution directly to the Office of Transfer Credit. Please note that the faculty at Penn have established specific criteria for college course completed during high school. A letter from the Registrar is required and must verify the following items in order for the credit to be deemed acceptable:

    - The course must be taught on the college campus by a member of the regular faculty.
    - It must be open to enrollment by and graded in direct competition with regularly matriculated undergraduates at the college.
    - It must be part of the normal curriculum published in the college�s catalogue and cannot be a distance learning course of any type.
    Penn Admissions: F.A.Q. for Transfer Credit and Advanced Standing


    Northwestern: Each year Northwestern admits some students who have earned credit for courses taken at post-secondary institutions prior to graduation from high school. The award of Northwestern credit for this work is the decision of the appropriate undergraduate school: All liberal arts credit is evaluated by Weinberg College, and professional credit is referred to the Schools of Education and Social Policy, Communication, Journalism, Music, and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, irrespective of the school in which the student enrolls.

    Weinberg College will give you credit for liberal arts courses provided that all of the following conditions are met:

    1.the courses were taken at a fully accredited 4-year or junior college in the United States or Canada,
    2.the courses were not used for fulfillment of any high school diploma requirement,
    3.the courses were taken primarily by college students rather than high school students, and
    4.the courses were similar to courses offered for credit at Northwestern (e.g., American history, but not physical education).
    Transfer Credit from Other Universities and Colleges, Freshmen, Undergraduate Students, WCAS, Northwestern University


    Tufts: Secondary school students who have taken college courses should consult the appropriate departments
    regarding their placement and the possible awarding of credits. Credit is awarded only for courses taken at a
    college with regularly enrolled college students. Some colleges offer their courses at nearby secondary
    schools for classes composed entirely of secondary school students; credit is not awarded for these courses.
    You must also provide a letter from your high school principal or counselor indicating that you did not need
    these courses in order to graduate from high school. http://uss.tufts.edu/registrar/Forms/Pre-matric%20Credits%20_text_and_chart_for%20LA%208-09.pdf


    WashU (college of arts and sciences) The academic policy of the College of Arts and Sciences permits the transfer of credit
    earned at other colleges and universities while in high school if:
    1. The course is one for which credit would normally be awarded
    2. The course was taken at a fully accredited college or university
    3. The course was not part of a dual degree program and the course was:
    *a bona fide college course taught on the campus of a college or university,
    *enrolled primarily by duly matriculated college students--i.e.,
    high school graduates,
    *taught by a regular college faculty member,
    4. The course was taken after the junior year of high school.
    5. This course is not on the high school transcript and did not count towards the high school diploma.


    Claremont McKenna: Students entering CMC as freshmen may receive transfer credit for a maximum of four CMC courses for college coursework completed prior to their enrollment at CMC. Such credit may be granted in addition to any college credit for AP or IB examinations (see above).
    To be eligible for transfer credit, all college courses must be part of the standard college curriculum. College courses taken to satisfy high school graduation
    requirements cannot be used for college credit at CMC. Students in dual enrollment programs (high school-college) or homeschooled students who are taking college courses prior to their enrollment at CMC should contact the Admission Office to discuss transfer credit questions.
  • 1015222910152229 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    There are some Ivy League Universities only accept freshmen. I suggest you check each of them.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,402 Super Moderator
    The earlier posts in the thread are from two years ago. It's very possible the schools have changed their policies on what credits will be accepted since. Checking each school is pretty much the only way to know.
  • MomCat2MomCat2 Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    The stuff I posted (3 messages above) is current.
This discussion has been closed.