Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Did you read it?

kclkcl - Posts: 48 Junior Member
edited February 2008 in College Admissions
Ahh I got you. Please read my message.

9 years of Spanish ( I write several beautiful poems in Spanish)
3 years of Latin
4 years of Italian
3 years of English but I got it in 3month, one of my literature teachers in college told me that I should major in English.
2 semester of Arabic
1 year of Sign languages
I am auditing Greek this semester
Should I put them as EC?

I am going to transfer so I can double major in linguistic and another social science. Guys, how do you think I should list my languages knowledge so I don't seem like bragging. I am an international student, I grew up bilingual, French and Creole. I started learning Spanish since middle school but I could read it when I was 9 because my siblings were doing it in school. So I sneaked around and study in their books. My parents encouraged me and always brought me Spanish News paper to read for them.

I would like to be a court interpreter, or an economic policy maker, or get involve in international commerce. I am just so passionate about languages. It 's the easiest thing that I have done in school. My teacher always said that I have aptitude for languages. I would be the happiest person on earth If I could take 5 languages at once,instead of the other courses . My strength is in languages but I feel that colleges pay more attention to people who take natural sciences . Now I am fluent in French, English, Spanish and my other mother tongue. Good luck with your app and thanks for your insights!!!!
Post edited by kcl on

Replies to: Did you read it?

• dvm258dvm258 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    Well, it's called "Extracurricular" for a reason. Basically, if you didn't receive a grade or credit for it, you qualify. For example, I compete in a competition called National History Day each year, and it is required for middle school students at my school. However, there is also a senior division that the school does not require. (Or encourage!) But because I like the competition so much, I do it anyway for no extra credit. Therefore, I listed it as an EC, a BIG one at that.

You may want to take the SAT II tests in those languages too. Just a thought.
  • kclkcl - Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Hey I got grade for all of them. It was a requirement in my school. I had to learn those languages. The only one that I am not going to get grade for is Greek because I am just auditing it. I will not have enough time and money to take the SAT. I took it in some of them but not all. I only make 85 bucks a month
  • 2by22by2 Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    I do think that studying language, reading- writing poetry in them outside of the classroom is an ec. You may- especially since you want to be a linguistic major incorporate all your languages into your essay. Definately list them someplace- and definately take the SATII's or AP exams to show your fluency. It is an incredible accomplishment. You'll do great!!
  • UpsilambaUpsilamba Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    You could always list them in the "additional info" section of the application.
This discussion has been closed.