Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Whats generally considered "better"

A-CardA-Card Registered User Posts: 786 Member
edited February 2008 in College Admissions
Alright so i am gonna ask yo uguys a question and many of you guys are prolly gonna sigh but i am gonna ask anyways. What looks better to a top college, taking 7 ap's and getting all A's, or taking like 9-10 ap's and having like a B and a C. Their gpas would closely match, but the guys with 9 aps would have slighty higher gpa according to my schools grading system.
Post edited by A-Card on

Replies to: Whats generally considered "better"

• asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    7 APs with all As. You're doing better with a hard course-load as it is. Two more with longer grades isn't worth it.
  • la montagnela montagne Registered User Posts: 1,140 Senior Member
    How would their GPAs match? For the latter, do you mean 7-8 As and one B and one C?

Then, I'd say it depends. If most kids at your school take lots and lots of APs and by taking 7 you're taking a low-ish number (for the overachievers), and it's obvious that you're not taking the hardest courseload, then the latter might look better (if you could bring that C up to a B). Otherwise... in most circumstances, I'm pretty sure the first case would look better.
  • DCforMeDCforMe Registered User Posts: 626 Member
    If you're taking 7 AP's, you're demonstrating you can handle a really tough courseload. I doubt many schools say "man, that guy's a really strong candidate, but I just wish he'd taken that 8th AP." You can make a pretty good argument there's not much difference between a kid taking 7 AP
    s and a kid taking 9. Getting a "B" and a "C" on the other hand, while not necessarily horrible, certainly will demonstrate that you're not handling the course load 100% perfectly.

Of course, if the 9-10 AP guy has a higher GPA, he'd also have a higher class rank, which is certainly something that needs to be considered.

All just MHO.
  • GrumpsterGrumpster Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    It's better to have all As. It's not even a close comparison.
  • A-CardA-Card Registered User Posts: 786 Member
    thing is i am ranked i think 5/700. Seriously until this year most high achieving kids took the same amount of aps as i did. The numer one class ranked guy who went to an ivy (last year hs seniors) took 7 like me in junior and soph year.
    I am taking another 5-6 ap's next year as a senior.
  • godevils2011godevils2011 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Ace the 7 AP classes and spend your extra time elsewhere doing something worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.