Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does making clubs actually help you get into college?

13»

Replies to: Does making clubs actually help you get into college?

• dchow08dchow08 Registered User Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    I didn't know that what I wrote made it sound like I was stressed. I actually wasn't stressed at all. I didn't mean to trigger that feeling. Right now I'm pretty relaxed; I don't know why you thought that I was following the "get-into-Ivy-league" advice. Did my thought that college applications should be a time of reflection sound like that advice? If so, I have some money to make! :)

Most of the advice I come up with that I tell on CollegeConfidential is common-sense advice. I try to use as much common sense as possible when people say stuff like, "I got an 1800 on the SAT and I NEED to get a 2300. What do I do?" I was faced with these questions too, but I think the fact that I didn't have parents who attended college made me more independent and forced me to think for myself, which appears to be a disappearing skill, evidenced by all the freaking-out posts here. Everyone will eventually be faced with these questions. People are so used to finding out a direct answer, so that when they're faced with something like college applications, which is mysterious, confusing, and stressful for many obvious reasons, that stress is exacerbated (SAT word!) by the fact that there's no one answer to many things regarding college applications.

Okay, I realize that I've been responding in long responses, probably since I've already done all my applications and feel a need to share what I've learned.

But a college application, to me, is like a self-portrait. It's a meaningful experience that you can and should try to have some fun with.
  • FresnoMomFresnoMom Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Kragon

Thank you for sharing about your son. He sounds like an amazing human being.

We also live in the central valley.

Good luck on your son's acceptances!
  • The RevolutionThe Revolution Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    Well to answer your question. Does making clubs help you get into college?
    Simply, yes.
    The Revolution, I think you missed the whole point. No, making clubs won't help you get into college if it's something that isn't very beneficial. I mean, don't just make a club because you falsely believe that that will help you get in (e.g. pie-eating club, which is probably less a club than a group of friends who got together to eat pie and try to mislead college admissions officers).

If you feel a genuine sense of duty that you should make a club/achievement that benefits something in some way (e.g. you started an AIDS awareness week in your school because you learned from a pen pal whose relatives died for aids), you would do it regardless of whether it would look good to colleges. That will probably help you get into college, but you should have humanitarian goals in mind, not the goal of looking good.
  • The RevolutionThe Revolution Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    You are missing the point. He said will it help you, not will it guarantee acceptance.
  • NarcissaNarcissa - Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    sound legitimate (among other factors).

lmao. -________________-
    its fun to direct things, tho =P
    That will probably help you get into college, but you should have humanitarian goals in mind, not the goal of looking good.
    okay, so you don't call it a pie-eating club. you call it the "Cure AIDS Club." but all you do is eat pie. now how are colleges going to know the difference?
    Revolution, it won't help, unless you make genuine contributions.

Narcissa, I hope you're joking. That's just plain dishonest. You may as well lie about everything else on your application as well.
  • karagon7karagon7 Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    FresnoMom: Thank you for your kind words! Being from the Central Valley, I know you can relate. :(
  • aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Registered User Posts: 1,997 Senior Member
    okay, so you don't call it a pie-eating club. you call it the "Cure AIDS Club." but all you do is eat pie. now how are colleges going to know the difference?

adcoms will know your accomplishments
13»
This discussion has been closed.