Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP me PLEASE

CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,420 Senior Member
edited April 2005 in College Admissions
My best friend just got into Harvard, Yale, Rice, Northwestern, and Brown. He received a likely letter from Princeton, and got in Early Action at Stanford. He has narrowed the choices to the following:

Harvard
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
Yale

My friend is interested in economics and political science (or public policy, as it is called at some schools). Which school should he go to? He cares absolutely 0.00% about environment, but is mostly interested in which school will give him THE BEST education and most room for success.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Replies to: HELP me PLEASE

• CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,420 Senior Member
    Help Me Please
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Registered User Posts: 463 Member
    Shouldn't the thread title read "HELP my friend PLEASE"? ;)
    lol, no he is really depending on me...im already attending princeton early
  • suzesuze - Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    If it were me I'd cross off Rice and simply choose where I wanted to be from the rest which I see as equals.
    Any recommendations for his interests in particular? He wants to do PoliSci, gov't, public policy or economics, finance, etc...

I know Princeton and Harvard are good choices for those fields...which is better?
  • LadyinRedLadyinRed Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    I'd cross off Rice....
    In terms of HYPS (wow - choosing between HYPS)
    Education level is the same....Your friend should look at the CC forums for each of the schools (under Ivy League)...He'll find out a lot about what the learning environment is like at each - and it's just personal preference from there.

If I had the choice, I'd choose based on location - Yale or Princeton.
    Most likely Princeton - I'm still deciding whether or not to apply to Yale next year.

Solely out of curiosity, to what other schools did you apply and where did you get accepted?
  • m_cm_c Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    Wow. You and your friend are really smart! If he ONLY cares about getting the best undergrad education, and you've narrowed it down to Princeton and Harvard, I'd tell him to go to Princeton. Because Princeton is smaller, I heard it's easier to get individual, focused attention from the professors than it is at places like Harvard. Also, the article that recently came out about Harvard undergrads being unhappy had a point. Harvard profs are primarily research scholars, not teaching professors.

Really though, tough choice your friend has to make ;) I'm sure whichever school he goes to he's going to have a fabulous education. Good luck.
  • LadyinRedLadyinRed Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    When choosing among the top four Ivies, I dont think it's the level of education that's the biggest issue - any of them will provide all the resources necessary to get a good education.
    It's more about what university provides the best environment for the individual to make the most of those resources. That varies with each person....
  • 2vulgar4cc2vulgar4cc Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    tell him to go to harvard. duh.
  • awakenedreamawakenedream Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    what are your friends stats? he must be a genius!
  • DIABLO2FANDIABLO2FAN Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    id scrap all of those colleges and just attend community college
  • soliloquysoliloquy Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    If I was admitted to those colleges:

1. Harvard
    2. Princeton
    3. Yale
    4. Stanford
    5. Rice
  • mosharma134mosharma134 Registered User Posts: 380 Member
    lol diablo2fan.....just forget these elite colleges and go to a CC and have enjoy your 2 years......
  • USMedaspirantUSMedaspirant Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello all,
    Has anyone of you tried www.iau.edu.lc , I am trying for their 6 year MD program In association with Texas A&M university.Heard the deadlines end by May20th or so .Any updates and info Kindly help!!!

Anushka
    I have heard of it, Anushka, because my cousin lives in CS!
    Congratulations soliloquy!
    Awakened Dream, my friend was a 1600 three by 800 national award winner who also played varsity football. haha, sounds impossible, but he did it while managing to get to finals for homecoming king. he wasn't a special admit, like an under represented minority or a legacy.

2vulgar, ive been trying to tell him not to jump on harvard because it's harvard. he wants the best education, not the best name...if you think harvard has the best education, so be it, but its not something thats given (ex: "duh") :)
This discussion has been closed.