Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Waitlist Acceptances: What if More than One?

debater88debater88 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
edited March 2008 in College Admissions
I have heard that if, by some act of God, a candidate is accepted at a school from the waitlist, he or she has only a very brief timeframe in which to accept or reject the school's offer, on the order of 24 hours, if that.

However, what if a student (like me) is waitlisted by two or more of his top choice school that report waiting list admissions at different times? If he gets accepted by his #2 choice but still hasn't heard from his #1 choice because they call the following week, does he have any options? It seems like a paradox to me.

I ask because I was waitlisted by both Middlebury and Amherst and want to try to get into both, only they report wait list admissions at slightly different times, Middlebury (my #1) coming after Amherst (my #2). Something tells me the admissions officer from Amherst won't be too understanding if I ask for a bit of time to consider my options.

Am I potentially sticking myself between a rock and a hard place?
Post edited by debater88 on

Replies to: Waitlist Acceptances: What if More than One?

  • aristotle1990aristotle1990 Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    If the chance of getting off the waitlist at Amherst is 1/100, and the chance of getting off the waitlist at Middlebury is also 1/100, then the chance of getting off the waitlist at both is 1/10000.

    You're stuck between a rock and a chainsaw. Take the rock.
  • debater88debater88 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I know it's highly improbable that it will happen, but all the same I'd like to know if I can do anything if it does.
  • zotanzotan Registered User Posts: 657 Member
    Accept, pay the initial registration fee or whatever, and then back out if the 2nd school accepts you. You just would loose your registration fee.
This discussion has been closed.