Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Overall...do you WANT adcoms to feel PITY?

flyboy22flyboy22 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
edited March 2008 in College Admissions
Generally speaking, does it bode well for your admissions chances if the adcoms feel sorry for you or that you had a tough time in life.

If your dad, mom, and sister got in a car accident and they all died(this would suck I know), would that make you a strong candidate speaking only in terms of getting into your dream college?

How much exactly do you think an admissions decision can be impacted by this type of stuff?

Replies to: Overall...do you WANT adcoms to feel PITY?

• debater88debater88 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I've always been told that it's better to be positive than negative. Keep the negativity to a minimum and be sure to spin whatever happened to you in the best light possible.
  • ivanadoeslimboivanadoeslimbo Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I think overcoming hardship is definitely a plus in college admissions, but to a certain extent. I don't think an overtly "WOE IS ME, MY LIFE SUCKS, AND NONE OF MY BAD GRADES/SCORES ARE MY FAULT" message will be taken very well.
  • debater88debater88 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    ivanadoeslimbo, don't you mean that you do think such a message won't be taken very well?

Just trying to help avoid double-negative confusion.
  • ivanadoeslimboivanadoeslimbo Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    edited! haha I guess I forgot I had already put "don't" at the beginning of that sentence

I really should start reading over my posts, since I tend to make these types of typos fairly often.
This discussion has been closed.