Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2400/36 scorers: post your results here

Replies to: 2400/36 scorers: post your results here

• aznfishyaznfishy Registered User Posts: 543 Member
    edit of my previous post: 2400...accepted at MIT & Caltech & Harvard & Princeton & Penn & Williams & Amherst & Dartmouth, rejected at Yale & Stanford & Swarthmore, waitlisted at all other Ivies & UChicago & JHU.

commentary: I'd say that 2400 was pretty influential. The only person who got into Yale from my school also had a 2400.
  • OneDadOneDad Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    My son hit the lottery- accepted at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, MIT, UChicago (did not get merit scholarship), Amherst, Swarthmore, Haverford. Not sure where he'll go yet.

Also had 3 800s on SAT2s, private school, worked very hard, got good grades and recommendations (presumably)- the latter items are probably more important as many people take SAT prep courses (he self-studied, took it once). Some of the top schools only take 30% of 800 scorers (see for example Brown's website although they don't give total score).
  • Spider AdmissionSpider Admission Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    This might explain, in part, why students with high scores are not necessarily guaranteed admission to top-tier schools.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/education/01admission.html?_r=1&ref=education&oref=slogin
  • HandsAcrossTimeHandsAcrossTime Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    I remember a 2360 from '06. Rejected CalTech + MIT. Accepted at Harvard, Pton, Stanford, Cornell, Columbia, and UPenn. Didn't have significant ECs, but probably wrote great essays + great recs.

2300 from my school with decent to great everything else ---> UCB Regents and that's all

Scores are definitely not everything. 31 ACT and low subject scores (highest was a 700). Accepted Pton + Brown + UChicago. Great ECs + recs, though, probably. Great high school, classes, and GPA. Waitlisted at Yale and Stanford.
  • zappafanzappafan Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Yo, by terrible, I mean like a 3.44... All things considered, it should have been higher.
  • philoglossiaphiloglossia Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    bringing up this thread- not many patterns so far. Can we see more about extracurriculars?
  • chronicidalchronicidal Registered User Posts: 709 Member
    36 - Accepted at Harvard, Princeton, Stanford early approval, MIT, UChicago full-tuition, UVA Echols/CSS. Deferred then rejected by Yale.
  • KeshiraKeshira Registered User Posts: 1,148 Senior Member
    I should think that 2400/36 scorers should be AT LEAST as involved in ECs and proficient in essay writing as a group compared to the rest of the pool, so it's still pretty shocking that only two people on this thread have been accepted at HYP so far. I think this is the most competitive year in college admissions ever.
  • FredFredBurgerFredFredBurger Registered User Posts: 1,425 Senior Member
    2370 (close enough)-Accepted to Stanford and Cornell, Rejected by Princeton and MIT. Bear in mind I'm an URM (Black). High test scores don't guarantee you as much as they used to. Admissions this year were crazy and don't expect them to get any easier.
  • BrandoIsCoolBrandoIsCool Registered User Posts: 799 Member
    Wow, its all pretty random! I would never even get close to those near perfect scores!
  • bambeebambee Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    2400 on the SAT

Accepted: Tufts, U British Columbia, U Chicago, Georgetown, Brown

Rejected: Harvard

Waitlisted: Swarthmore

There were a lot of kids at my school who got into similar schools, and they didn't have a perfect. It's a nice plus on an application, but most college admissions officers are smart enough to know that a good test taker isn't always the best candidate.
  • tokabeechtokabeech Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Out of curiosity, bambee, have you decided where you'll be attending next year? (I applied to many of the same schools)
  • lobgentlobgent Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    2400 here.

Accepted at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and the University of Michigan (full ride with money left over to spend, haha). I consider myself incredibly lucky, but I don't think it's the 2400 that got me in.
  • hyswhichhyswhich Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    2400. Accepted at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia. Didn't apply anywhere else. I like to think that my pretty crazy essays and my slides of artwork did it, though.
  • MegaVortex7MegaVortex7 Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    my friend with a 2400 got into Columbia ED
    he also had a 3.5 GPA
This discussion has been closed.