Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else get rejected from all the Ivies they applied to?

Replies to: Anyone else get rejected from all the Ivies they applied to?

• lanternkidlanternkid Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    Rejected by Harvard, Yale, Brown and Cornell.
  • complexitycomplexity Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Rejected from Penn and Harvard, waitlisted from Dartmouth and Princeton, and rejected from Hopkins and Duke (not Ivies but strong enough that they should be considered in this discussion) all in one night. Needless to say I didn't attend school today.

It's down to Emory, UVA, or Williams. (all very different, I know. Don't get me started.)
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Sorry. When you are applying to the thinnest-slice-of-elite schools in this country, and you get into ANY top 20 university or LAC, it's a really poor attitude to complain that you didn't do a grand sweep. You should be overjoyed with your tremendous luck and fortune. Remember, the only people who think that life appreciably sucks if you don't go to HYPSM are either nerdy high school seniors or immigrants who are new to this country and don't have a clue. In the real world, getting into ANY school of this caliber is a tremendous, tremendous accomplishment and you should feel delighted.
  • cortana431cortana431 - Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    Complexity, you got into Emory, UVA, and williams and you didn't attend school after getting rejected at a few schools? Williams is extremely competitive and so is UVA if you're out of state. You should be very proud to have such options.

Really, some of the attitudes of denied students are disgusting.
  • SaugusSaugus Registered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    Rejected from the entire Ivy League minus Cornell. Rejected at Duke, Northwestern, and waitlisted at Chicago.

Only got into Cornell, UC Berkeley, and UCLA. Needless to say, I also did not attend school today. Ugh.
  • TucsonTylerTucsonTyler Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Rejected from Harvard, Yale, UPenn and Princeton. Waitlisted at NYU. I expected as much, but it's very disappointing when it actually happens. I was accepted to University of Richmond, U of Arizona and U of San Diego. I am PRAYING that I get into Georgetown - they were my top choice from the beginning. I find out my decision really soon. Does anyone have any advice on the three I've been accepted to?

Also, I live in Tucson, and if I go to Arizona, I don't have to let them know until June. If I didn't like the other two, would it be worth claiming my NYU waitlist spot? I don't know how all of that works so any info on that would help.
  • CORVIDSCORVIDS Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Rejected from all my Ivies: Penn, Harvard, and Yale. I was accepted everywhere else though so I'm fine. I was upset about Penn though because I like the school and the people there so much.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    Anyone IVY rejects going to vandy?
  • waitingforivywaitingforivy Registered User Posts: 878 Member
    I got rejected from Harvard, Yale, UPenn, Dartmouth, and Cornell. I got waitlisted by Columbia.

I'm either going to go to NYU Stern or CMU Tepper
  • collegebro19collegebro19 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I only applied to Wharton at UPenn-got rejected. That was expected though. I still got into Lehigh CBE, Union NY Scholars Program, Northeastern, Binghamton SOM, and Quinnipiac 4 year MBA program. It is a toss up between Lehigh, Union, and Binghamton
  • skimixer13skimixer13 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I was rejected from Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth. Accepted at Cornell. Waitlisted at Penn. Kinda upset about Dartmouth, but expected it.
  • SemioverachieverSemioverachiever Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Waitlisted by Harvard, accepted by Cornell...my only rejection was Princeton, and then I found out why: in my engineering essay, I typed "Cornell" in every place I meant "Princeton"...
    I guess my subconsciousness knew where was best for me already?
  • lolToastylolToasty Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    Rejected by Yale, my ex-dream school. How nice.
    Waitlisted by Harvard, Princeton and Brown
  • complexitycomplexity Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    @Cortana431 I think you're misinterpreting my statement. I never said I wasn't proud/ungrateful to have been accepted to UVA, Emory, and Williams. I was just expressing my disappointment at getting rejected from the six schools that I was most excited about potentially attending. Getting six rejections (even if they are to a certain extent expected due to the fact that these schools have such low acceptance rates) in a two hour period would be hard for anybody, so please don't call my attitude "disgusting". Just like anyone else rejected from their favorite schools, I believe I have the right to be upset. I'm sure you would be too.
  • ckcollegeckcollege Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @TheIllusionist that would be me!

Accepted: Northwestern, Vandy, BC honors program, UMich
    Waitlisted: Dartmouth, Brown
    Rejected: Cornell, Yale, Columbia

Overall I wasn't upset because Vandy has been my top choice for some time now. I was pleasantly surprised to even be on the WL for Brown and Dartmouth but I think I'm a 'dore at heart :)
This discussion has been closed.