Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My heroes, and where they went to school

13»

Replies to: My heroes, and where they went to school

• rucaruca - Posts: 387 Junior Member
    Nice thread ^_^

No college education - 2 (Bob Marley and a friend)
    CSU Long Beach - 1 (Bradley Nowell)
    U of Minnesota Morris - 1 (a friend)
    U of Minnesota Duluth - 1 (a friend)

Plus a bunch whose college education or lack thereof is kind of irrelevant:
    Jesus Christ, Hillel the Elder, Buddha, St. Francis of Assisi, Henry David Thoreau, and Gandhi
  • GreybeardGreybeard Registered User Posts: 2,355 Senior Member
    Milton Friedman went to Rutgers as an undergrad. He had a Masters from Chicago (where he also taught), and got his Ph.D. from Columbia.
  • unaloveunalove Registered User Posts: 3,725 Senior Member
    lus a bunch whose college education or lack thereof is kind of irrelevant:
    Jesus Christ, Hillel the Elder, Buddha, St. Francis of Assisi, Henry David Thoreau, and Gandhi

Nice.

I think it's clear that "influence" means different things to different people. For me, I took people who have inspired me. Inspiration comes in many forms. For example, one of the people who had no college education was my first boss at my first job. She taught me how to do my job, how to approach life, how to overcome obstacles. She is completely brilliant at what she does, and devilishly smart in an academic and intellectual sense. Why no college? I don't think it fit in with her life plan.

I don't think it's surprising at all that a lot of the people I find inspirational went to great schools (Oberlin, Carleton, UVA, etc.) particularly because I tend to admire people for their intellectual ability above other things. Some of the schools I listed are not "great" by CC standards, but are awesome nonetheless. What's to me the kicker is how many people I know didn't attend an "elite" college-- or any college! And they are no more or less inspiring to me than the people who did.

Morehouse was not MLK, actually, but Spike Lee. Not to say that MLK isn't an inspiration :-)

And I forgot to include some of my best friends, who are all inspiring to me just by being who they are. They're all over the map and the USNWR ranks.
13»
This discussion has been closed.