Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ebay business; extracarric?

ancalimeancalime Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited April 2008 in College Admissions
Hello guys. I am a junior and was talking to one of my senior friends about college and stuff. I mentioned that I owned a small business on Ebay which I just started a few months back. He said this is a great extracarricular to not only put down, but also one I should really focus on and even write my essay on.

Before talking to him, I never thought of my business being an extracarricular. I also thought that having an EBAY business in particular could be viewed as shady since Ebay is not the most honest of places. Am I wrong in thinking this? I am pretty much set on applying for business programs in such schools as Emory, Carnegie, etc...

Basically, do you agree with what my senior friend told me? Thanks and I greatly appreciate any input.
Post edited by ancalime on

Replies to: Ebay business; extracarric?

• ButternutButternut Registered User Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd definetly put it down. Starting your own business is great, especially when applying to business schools. :)
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Registered User Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    Yes... especially if you're making some kind of profit.
  • ancalimeancalime Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thank you for the replies guys. Right now I am on track to make about $4k-$5k a year. I do plan to greatly expand it this summer though to hopefully make it more impressive.

Is this kind of thing a big deal though? Like will it really help me out in what would otherwise be reach school?
  • goyanks193goyanks193 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    I had a similar "business," but made nowhere near as much money and wrote essays about it. I wouldn't say it would "get you into your reach school," but sure, it can add to your application if you put it forth well.
  • SparklingJuiceSparklingJuice Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Isn't it illegal to sell on eBay if you are under 18? It's one of the agreements on the website. But then, I'm still not 100% sure.
This discussion has been closed.