Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will this give me more chance on the wait list?

collegeappwoescollegeappwoes Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
edited April 2008 in College Admissions
I've heard from my mom (who hears all kinds of rumors) that if students from your school turn down a particular college at which you were wait listed, there's more chance for you to get off the wait list.

Is this true?

Cause I know for a fact that at least 4 or more students at my school are turning down Duke for higher places....

anyone knows anything about this rumor?
Post edited by collegeappwoes on

Replies to: Will this give me more chance on the wait list?

• TAddTAdd Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    AHA! Fellow Duke waitlistee, I challenge thee to a duel to the death!

Seriously though, I'd like to think that it doesn't make a huge difference about the other kids in your school. I'm coming from a school where 9 people applied, only 2 got accepted, and 1 (me) got waitlisted. They want to view you as an applicant...there's not like a quota or anything for a set # of students they would take from any HS.
  • Captain DoubtfulCaptain Doubtful Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Anybody who was accepted but chose not to go would give you a better chance of getting in through the wait list. I don't think it matters that much that those people are from your school.
This discussion has been closed.