Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Retake a 36 on the ACT? *Gasp*

ProcrastinationProcrastination Registered User Posts: 480 Member
edited May 2008 in College Admissions
Before everyone gets too riled up, this is a legit question. Bear with me. So, I got a 36 composite on the ACT, but I received a 7 on the essay portion of the test. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? I don't want something like this holding me back, especially since I do not think I am a bad writer... I guess my best excuse is that I ran out of time, terrible at time management I guess. Reposted from the Yale board.
Post edited by Procrastination on

Replies to: Retake a 36 on the ACT? *Gasp*

• mydixiewreckedmydixiewrecked - Posts: 268 Junior Member
    In the very small chance you are actually serious about this, the answer is no. A 36 is a 36; forget about the specifics.
  • beefsbeefs Registered User Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    I don't think I've ever lol'ed more at any other post on CC.
  • NarcissaNarcissa - Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    ^if you want another laugh, look at the hundreds of other "should i retake a 2400?" threads
  • ProcrastinationProcrastination Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    Why would this not be a serious question? I feel that, since significant number of colleges require the writing, that some weight would be placed on the essay score - if this were the case, getting a 7 would be like getting 36 36 36, and then 20 on the english section, if we considered it in the context of just multiple choice. please dont post if you do not have anything to contribute, perhaps im just not as confident as you "beefs" in the admissions process.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,151 Senior Member
    Your application essays are far more important than a 7 on the ACT essay. Congrats on your score and move on to other things you enjoy!
  • rofflezrofflez Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    schools only see 1 ACT score, so if it bothers you that much, then go ahead. unless one of the CC people who have worked in an admissions office responds, then none of us here will have very sound advice about whether that one section of the ACT is cared for very much.
  • DCforMeDCforMe Registered User Posts: 626 Member
    perhaps try taking the SAT, and going off that essay score? I know my SAT essay was 12, while my ACT a 10. I can't remember where, but I know either on CC or in my own school I've run into a few people who did better on the SAT essay than the ACT.
  • beefsbeefs Registered User Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    You guys can't seriously be telling this kid to retake ANY test.
  • BegonerBegoner Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    If you're operating under the assumption that retaking the test cannot detrimentally impact you in any way, then you could considering going for it. I faced a similar dilemma after taking the SAT -- despite obtaining the "maximum" score overall, my essay was of very poor quality (thankfully, it received an 11, but it deserved a lower score). Currently, I'm opting not to retake it as I can't see the marginal cost outweighing the possible benefit; however, I'm sure you could significantly improve your grade on the essay portion, making it worthwhile for you.
  • jrmjrm Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    If it would make you feel better you could retake it once and really concentrate on the essay, and then send both scores. I honestly don't think your score would hold you back, but with everything being so competitive every little thing helps.
  • Sligh_AnarchistSligh_Anarchist Registered User Posts: 2,193 Senior Member
    Well, if you don't retake, it's straight to the local community college for you, bud. So sorry.
  • someguy1337someguy1337 Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    LOL^^^^ (10 char)
  • ProcrastinationProcrastination Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    Clap, clap.
  • NarcissaNarcissa - Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    Lol, REALLY! you dont need to retake. Standarized test essays are dumb, colleges know you can't spew out a brilliant essay in 25 minutes (or however amount of time u get) and will never, ever need such a skill.
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    dont retake. i got an 8 on my act essay with a 36. still got into many good schools with that score only
This discussion has been closed.