Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help Me!!-essay Due Tomorrow

hhboyjihhboyji Registered User Posts: 361 Junior Member
edited October 2004 in College Admissions
Can anyone help me with my essay?
I'm terrible with grammar, and sorta of suck at writing
I've been in US for three years and didn't know a thing about English in the first place.
I don't want my lack of ability to write to hinder me from getting into college of my dream.

Here it goes>>what's your favorite word (UVA)

What’s my favorite word? This can’t be a favorite thing, it has to be a favorite word, and has to have a reason. Thinking back, there is one word that I have been trying so hard to master; Antidisestablishmentarianism. Say it, and see if you haven’t missed to say any of the letters. Well, I always do. I learned how to spell it in ESOL class when I was 10th grade, and it always stuck with me although I didn‘t fully understand its definition until later on. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue no matter how many times I try. And it has been pulling my leg because I still can't find it in a dictionary.

I give it a try once more; Anti-dis-establishment-a-ria-nism. Still, I can spell it but can’t say it. It doesn’t meant that I get frustrated. Rather my inability to pronounce the word fascinates me more about the complexity of this language I’ve been trying to master for the past three years-English.

It’s completely different from the language been exposed to for the first fifteen years of my life-Korean. The grammar, vocabularies, idioms, and so on, comparing the differences between two languages is always fun thing to notice. Little mistakes I make isn’t so embarrassing; being bilingual lets these embarrassing moments be memorable and funny rather than painful. It is same with Antidisestablishmentarianism. It’s my favorite word because it constantly reminds me of how fun it is to learn a language and make mistakes, not painful or embarrassing.

It's really pathetic essay but I'm trying
can anyone help me?
Post edited by hhboyji on

Replies to: Help Me!!-essay Due Tomorrow

• marlgirlmarlgirl Registered User Posts: 1,096 Senior Member
    feel free to IM me, I'll do what I can
  • auntannieauntannie Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    First, delete this sentence:This can’t be a favorite thing, it has to be a favorite word, and has to have a reason. Sentence:Thinking back, there is one word that I have been trying so hard to master; Antidisestablishmentarianism. Edited: Thinking back, there is one word I have been trying so hard to master: antidisestablishmentarianism. Sentence: Say it, and see if you haven’t missed to say any of the letters. Edited: Say it, and see if you haven’t missed saying any of the letters. Sentence: I learned how to spell it in ESOL class when I was 10th grade, and it always stuck with me although I didn‘t fully understand its definition until later on. Edited: I learned how to spell it in ESOL class when I was in 10th grade, and it has stuck with me although I didn‘t fully understand its definition until later on. Sentence: I give it a try once more; Anti-dis-establishment-a-ria-nism. Edit: I give it a try once more: anti-dis-establishment-a-ria-nism. (If you want to break it up by syllables, it would be "an-ti-dis-es-tab-lish-men-tar-i-an-ism.") Sentence: It doesn’t meant that I get frustrated. Edited: It doesn’t mean that I get frustrated. Sentence:Rather my inability to pronounce the word fascinates me more about the complexity of this language I’ve been trying to master for the past three years-English. Edited: Rather, my inability to pronounce the word fascinates me as does the complexity of this language I’ve been trying to master for the past three years: English. Sentence: It’s completely different from the language been exposed to for the first fifteen years of my life-Korean. Edited: It’s completely different from the language I've been exposed to for the first fifteen years of my life: Korean. Sentence: The grammar, vocabularies, idioms, and so on, comparing the differences between two languages is always fun thing to notice. Edited: The grammar, vocabularies, and idioms are so the different, and the differences are always fun to notice. Sentence: Little mistakes I make isn’t so embarrassing; being bilingual lets these embarrassing moments be memorable and funny rather than painful. Edited: Little mistakes I make aren't so embarrassing; being bilingual lets these embarrassing moments be memorable and funny rather than painful. Sentence: It is same with Antidisestablishmentarianism. Edited: It is the same with "antidisestablishmentarianism."
    Good luck. It's not pathetic.
  • beramodberamod - Posts: 512 Member
    Just let your english teacher read it tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.