Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is USC difficult to get in? How competitive is it?

Replies to: Is USC difficult to get in? How competitive is it?

• JulianBernardinoJulianBernardino Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    USC is a superb school, and it's only getting better. I would put it on par with UCLA.
  • iskanderiskander Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    thx columbia.

and i was previously also replyin to PBailey.
  • athenegoddessathenegoddess Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    ^ that. the admissions dean said that if it wasn't obvious that she didn't want to go to USC then they would have taken her. They ended up taking her anyway because her parents and the school complained, but she ended up not going.

everyone was very confused by his story.. and wondered about hte admissions office's sanity lol.
  • ruskieruskie Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    yes USC is getting to be a very competitive school. The amount of connections you get from that school is on par with HYPS.
  • theendusputridtheendusputrid Registered User Posts: 559 Member
    bump ........
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Registered User Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    Pretty good school... and don't really look at the acceptance rate, because many people who don't have a chance in hell apply just because they like the football team.
  • hannabanhannaban Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    usc? let me see....NOT REALLY, if you do your best in school (or you're lazy, but still get like a 3.7 gpa uw) and aren't just a couch potato, YOU CAN GET IN!
  • athenegoddessathenegoddess Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    I got into USC !! :DDD
    OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process, etc. Good luck!
  • hopefuldad2009hopefuldad2009 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My daughter got a letter from USC about a month ago requesting her grades from her first semester of her senior year that ended this past December. Is this a good or bad sign???
  • ElizaBElizaB Registered User Posts: 658 Member
    A neutral sign, I believe they ask nearly everyone for them with the exception of some of the big scholarship candidates.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,271 Senior Member
    USC bears no comparison to the university I first saw 30 years ago. USC and WashU are the poster children for the hope that universities are not forever stuck in a narrow band of ranking...

At one time (60s and 70s) USC would admit anyone with about a B- average and the ability to pay... not unlike SMU at that time also. By the early 80's it was B average. By the late 80s it was B+. By the mid nineties it was A- average. And now it's squarely A average, 2000+ SATs.

How this happened -- I comment below. I think the difficulty of admittance rank would be:

Berkeley
    USC/UCLA just a hair behind (and that's a thin strand of hair).

In ten years, USC will change places with Berkeley. It is strictly a function of a smaller university, with vast financial resources, being able to enhance the faculty and facilities each year and attract a continually more selective student body.
  • pynpyn Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    I'd say USC acceptance rate is highly inflated (or deflated? It's artificially low)... At the USC admission session I attended only me and another girl were top 5%, strong academics students... The other 20 were jocks probably in the bottom 15% (if even that). In fact the rep got tired of the jocks' shennanigins and left 10 minutes into her speech...
  • RobAahiRobAahi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    What is the average cost for a year at USC? A walk on position for their football team, tryout. Is what I'm aiming for.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,337 Senior Member
    this is a two-year old thread.
  • diana3diana3 Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    USC is ranked the 23rd best college according to US News. That's pretty high, higher than all of the schools in the University of California system, with the exception of Cal Berkeley. The acceptance rate is 22% and the average accepted SAT scores range somewhere between 2100 and 2200. So, I wouldn't deem that as an "easy" college.

USC is also incredibly expensive even with financial aid. Because of the price of its tuition, you will be surrounded by very wealthy, perhaps snobby, students. Demographics and Tuition are some of the reasons why I am hesitant about applying to USC.
This discussion has been closed.