Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where Should I Consider?

quitejadedquitejaded Registered User Posts: 1,816 Senior Member
edited May 2005 in College Admissions
So far, there is only one school that looks like I would really love (and have a chance of getting into). I haven't heard a single bad thing about it and finicial aid is AWESOME, free credits are plentiful, study abroad is free, good price... just great. That's University of Tulsa. I haven't seen a cheaper private school that does so well! (18k tuition)

But then I realized "What if I don't get in?" So I would like some suggestions.

- Finicial aid is important to me! I'm not poor, but I would like to save some money for other things, you know. I've heard horror stories of student loans after college. *scary*

- City. The college should be in a good city that's not small. The college shouldn't be secluded from the city. I don't mind if its not NewYork City or New Orleans. It just has to be a nice city.

- Students. I do not want to go to a school where students care more about how they look while taking a test then how they do on it. I want atleast semi diverse group. I want students who know how to study, but know how to have fun, too. Not too competitive (like Rice) but not too party hardy (like Texas A&M). Oh, and unlike Texas A&M, I'd like the school to be medium sized.

- Location. I don't want anything to far north. Nothing in Newyork or Washington. Nothing in the New England states. If I haven't made it obvious, I'm in Texas.

Then, I want everything else normal people want. Beautiful campus, good profs., good programmes (study abroad, medical, whatever), good dorms, whatever.

I also have to be able to get in! XD So I'm expecting to be in atleast the top 10% all throughout highschool. My GPA is weighted, but uw it'd probably be a B or B-. In in the International Bach. programme. Normal ECs. And by normal, I don't mean 10+. I mean I'm only in Art club, Band, Track team, and Ac Dec team. I may join one or two more, but Ac Dec and IB look like they will consume my life. SAT is alright. I'm expecting atleast a 2000. I'm taking classes so it should be higher. Volunteer work... well i have to have atleast 150 hours for IB so whatever. My intended major (for now) is biochemistry. So that knocks out a few schools right on the spot.

Ahah, I am long winded! So if you have suggestions or even reply to this, you're the best. Thanks.
Post edited by quitejaded on

Replies to: Where Should I Consider?

• lonestardadlonestardad Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    Quitejaded - Consider Texas Christian University (TCU) in Fort Worth as a mid-size (7,000 students) alternative to University of Tulsa (TU) with competitive Division I sports and very good academics in an up-and-coming city. Others to consider (though with higher tuition) is University of Denver and St. Louis University (very good merit aid as well). Also with higher tuition but excellent merit aid is University of Miami with strong academics and highly competitive Division I sports.

However, with the high school credentials you outlined, you should be a "shoo-in" for the University of Tulsa. Just one piece of advice re applying to TU (which my son did last year), get to know your regional admissions counselor (which you can readily identify on TU's website) who can become a real ally to you with the Admissions Committee, especially if he/she comes to know that TU is your number one choice.

Another alternative to consider while looking at private mid-size universities are the honors programs at major state universities (such as University of Oklahoma in Norman, a vibrant college town, which is only 10 miles from Oklahoma City or Arizona State University just outside Phoenix). You are in a small group of academically oriented liberal arts students (a couple hundred to a few thousand) which usually includes honors housing, preferred registration, honors only courses, special advising) in the midst of a larger university so you don't get lost in the crowd. In the end my son chose Texas Tech Honors College over TU in part because of its Big 12 sports competition.

The advantage that a TU or other private mid-sized universities have over most public college/university honors programs are that all of your classes will be small and probably taught by full professors. Full professors will teach all honors colleges in public universities but less than half (on average) of your courses will be honors only.

Good luck. I am a TU admirer for all the reasons you outlined in your post, and I wish you the best of luck in your college seeking hunt.
    Quitejaded - After posting my reply I saw you are from Texas so let me give a couple more "outlier" schools to consider based on your private mid-size university criteria. First, Southern Methodist University in Dallas meets all your criteria except its tuition and room/board is considerably higher than University of Tulsa. On the other hand, its merit aid also appears to be substantial so perhaps SMU's cost may not be such a financial challenge in the end. The second school to consider is Trinity University in San Antonio. Trinity is not a mid-sized university, but here's what it has going for it. First, its undergraduate student body is almost as large as TU's (about 2500 to TU's 2700). Second, Trinity's academics are very strong (including some business and engineering majors); its beatiful hilly campus in the manana city of San Antonio is superb; its merit aid awarded is second to none; and Trinity is highly competitive in Division 3 sports. (Its tennis teams are always strong and its football team often challenges for the Division 3 national title.) Just a couple more thoughts to consider.
    Quitejaded - Another thought if honors programs at state universities (including such schools as University of Houston, Texas State in San Marcos, University of North Texas, Texas Tech, etc.) are on your radar. Don't sell yourself short! As with University of Tulsa, I believe you are a shoo-in with your credentials. In the same respect, my son appeared to be borderline in meeting the admissions criteria to state university honors colleges and he hesitated to apply. However, the honors college websites (such as University of Houston and Texas Tech) say they consider the whole student and not just GPA/SAT scores, so they encourage you to apply if you don't quite meet all the criteria. And these statements are true. My son had a superb experience his first year at Texas Tech Honors College and he almost missed it by not applying in the first place.
  • quitejadedquitejaded Registered User Posts: 1,816 Senior Member
    OH really thanks especially that bit about Trinity! I will look into all you said, lonestar. Thanks a lot. :)
This discussion has been closed.