Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
glucose101glucose101 Registered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
edited May 2005 in College Admissions
Will a C keep you out of UT, if it was in an AP class (like a 78/79), and not in the top ten percent?
Post edited by glucose101 on

Replies to: C

• dufus3709dufus3709 Registered User Posts: 3,052 Senior Member
    I will respond partly as a bump..... bump...

For an extremely selective college and a person who is not a legacy or URM or athlete, A 'C' would be a serious blow to your chances if it occurred after 9th grade. We might need some more information and some UT expertise.

Bump..
  • carolyncarolyn Registered User Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    U Texas Austin is numbers driven. If you're in the top 10% of your class, and a Texas resident, you're in, even if you had a C in one class.

However, if you're NOT in the top 10% of your class, you need to meet minimum test requirements and minimum high school curriculum requirements, depending on your rank, in order to be considered for admission. You can find out the details at:

http://www.uta.edu/admissions/freshman.php#cat2

So, the short answer to your question about whether a C will keep you out, is "it depends on how that C affects your class rank, what your test scores are, and whether you meet the minimum curriculum requirements."
  • glucose101glucose101 Registered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    Well even with the C, my GPA will be around a 96 still...but I'll still only be like in the top quarter. My ACTs (unofficial) are around 29-31.
  • dufus3709dufus3709 Registered User Posts: 3,052 Senior Member
    The top 10% and the minimum test requirements would make you an auto admit. If you don't qualify for that, t doesn't mean that you still can't get in. Check out the website that carolyn supplied. At any rate, from the information that she provided, the difference between a C and a B in the course wouldn't have a significant effect on your chances.
This discussion has been closed.