Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will one previous student hurt me?

drummerdude_07drummerdude_07 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
edited May 2005 in College Admissions
Ok I go to a crappy public school that sends ten or fewer kids to any USNews top 50 school every year. Only 2 kids in the last five years have gotten into a top 25 school. This year, a girl got into UVA, but couldn't matriculate because of the cost, so she is attending a CC for two years, then may transfer out to UVA. I will be graduating in two years, and applying to UVA. If she and I are the only two students in recent memory to apply to UVA, is it going to look bad that she didn't matriculate? Thanks.
Post edited by drummerdude_07 on

Replies to: Will one previous student hurt me?

• kates1422kates1422 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    I doubt it, because she had an very understandable reason for not matriculating.
  • drummerdude_07drummerdude_07 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    Thanks! I was worried but now I guess I realize it's not so bad if it was for financial reasons. Unless they think I too can't pay for it, which I doubt will happen.
  • dufus3709dufus3709 Registered User Posts: 3,052 Senior Member
    The adcoms won't really have any way of knowing and they wouldn't care if they did. For some of the schools where 30 people apply each year, they keep track of how many applied, how many were accepted, and how many attended; but they would not care about the info for your school.

At least one of the readers of your application will be the admissions officer for your area, and he/she will be familar with the high schools in the area. They factor in the type of high school that you attend into their decision. For example, they will not hold it against you if you haven't taken any AP courses provided that your high school doesn't offer them. Adcoms try to understand the total person and don't fixate on the SAT scores as much as you might think. They realize the difference between an applicant who is going to a pricey private school with a CEO for a father and an attorney for a mother, and applicants who don't have those advantages.
  • confidentialconfidential Registered User Posts: 1,009 Member
    In reseponse to the previous statement, an applicant goign to a pricey private school w/CEO for father and attorney for mother would have an advantage because counselors at rich private schools have good relations w/admissions officers and college will assume genetics passed on to the kid and he has less risk involved than a student from an unknown public hs.

anyways it won't matter. if u have good grades, OUTSTANDING RECS(I can't emphasize enough since you come from an unknown school this will be really important) you will do fine. colleges look for diversity so they also look for students like you from the unknown schools.
  • confidentialconfidential Registered User Posts: 1,009 Member
    BTW.. i live in Northern Virginia and know more than enough about UVA. If you have any questions feel free to private message me. BTW admission to UVA is much tougher out of state than it is in state, since its public. Great programs though, and I'm sure you will enjoy it if you decide to attend there.
  • Ivy_GradIvy_Grad Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    the previous applicant should not have any bearing on your chances.

on the contrary, if your school had tons of acceptances to a particular school (i.e. UVA) and the majority of those acceptances were turned down for other schools (i.e. HYPSM, etc.) then there may be more of a precedent concern.

in your case, i would just stick to focusing on making your application as strong as you can make it.
    confidential,
    When I said that a student who goes to a pricey school with a CEO for a mother and an attorney for a mother, I meant that the classes were better, the parents could pay for tutors or special SAT classes, and that the parents had both the education and time to help the child themselves. I certainly wasn't saying anything about genetics, or that kids from unknown public high schools are more of a risk. At any rate, in your first paragraph you say that rich kids do have an advantage, and then say in your second paragraph that they don't because adcoms look for diversity. I would say that the rich have advantages (duh), and that adcoms understand that fact and take it into account in an attempt to achieve diversity and to be fair.
    This thread is about the effect of a below average high school on admissions:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=67687
This discussion has been closed.