Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Taking the SATS more than once- why should colleges care?

2»

Replies to: Taking the SATS more than once- why should colleges care?

• kfc4ukfc4u Registered User Posts: 3,415 Senior Member
    ^

"The Gatekeepers" by Jacques Steinberg - very good book on college admissions! It's not one of those "how to get into ivy" type books. In fact, I'm reading it right now for my Education class at UCLA (taught by Professor from Graduate school of Education, US News ranked #2... so, I highly recommend it!)
  • dufus3709dufus3709 Registered User Posts: 3,052 Senior Member
    chanman,
    I personally have no idea about how ACT scores are done. However, I found the following at:
    http://www.educate.com/sylvan_prep/about_ACT.html
    How many times can I take the ACT?
    Many students and parents are under the impression that repeating the ACT is not a good idea. They often feel that multiple scores will "look bad" or that good scores will merely be averaged with weaker scores. Both points are incorrect. First of all, you have the ability to send the highest scores. If you have taken the ACT multiple times, the ACT will only send colleges the score from the date you specify.

In addition, virtually all colleges use a student's highest scores in evaluating his or her application. They choose the highest scores in one of two ways. Some schools will combine the highest English, math, reading, or science reasoning scores from one test date with the highest English, math, reading, or science reasoning scores from another test date. If that’s the case, then you can send multiple test results (if you have taken the ACT multiple times) to that school. Other schools take the highest composite score from a single test date. Ask your college counselor or call a college directly to find out a school’s policy. In no case, however, is repeating the test detrimental. Most students now take the ACT 2 - 3 times, which is adequate for a well-prepared test-taker.
2»
This discussion has been closed.