Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Student Accepted Early Decision But Didn't Withdraw Other App -- LA Times Article

rixrix Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
edited March 2009 in College Admissions
There is an article in today's LA Times about students sharing their admissions notifications on Facebook and other social networks. It describes a student who was accepted early decision at Pomona and who also received an acceptance from Occidental last week. Occidental is the dream school of one of the student's friends, and the article says:

"As of Sunday, she hadn't heard how her friend had fared and was nervous about being perceived as getting her slot."

The student certainly took away someone's space, not to mention violated Pomona's policy which requires that students admitted through early decision agree to withdraw all other applications and not initiate new ones.

This student has good reason to be nervous for another reason -- because Pomona has cause to rescind the acceptance.

How common is this and why do students do this? Ignorance? Bad advice? Ego? Do students not understand what the agreement means, or do they understand and just not care?

College applications now an open (Face)book - Los Angeles Times

(My post assumes the article is accurate and that the student did not withdraw the app from Occidental. This is one time I hope an article is inaccurate or missing a detail.)
Post edited by rix on

Replies to: Student Accepted Early Decision But Didn't Withdraw Other App -- LA Times Article

• AliBubbleAliBubble Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I think most people don't understand the agreement.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    I think that most people choose not to understand the agreement. If they are smart enough to apply ED, they are smart enough to understand the agreements.
  • xStevenxSteven Registered User Posts: 1,400 Senior Member
    I think that most people choose not to understand the agreement. If they are smart enough to apply ED, they are smart enough to understand the agreements.
    Exactly. I think people who apply ED are a bit jealous of the EA and RD folk who get to hear the same time as everyone else. Quoth a MIT EA, "I'm definitely going to enroll at MIT, but I just want to see if I get in." When I asked if he would attend Harvard if he got in, "No, MIT is still my top choice." I'm assuming that's how ED people feel, too.
  • cafesimonecafesimone Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    It's also a matter of pride. Some people like to see where else they would have "gotten" in.
  • kayfkayf Registered User Posts: 4,161 Senior Member
    I thought the schools were pretty clear as to ED v. EA. My Ds GC would have followed up with the kids getting accepted ED.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 26,217 Senior Member
    My dear friend's son got in ED and didn't withdraw other applications. When I expressed surprise, she said "Oh, they don't really mean it."
  • ArmoMomArmoMom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    The school counselors should send a letter to all the other schools to inform them of the early decision admit. By not doing so and allowing these admitted students to stay on the list of applicants, they are basically taking the slot away from another worthy applicant. When my son was admitted to BC EA (non-binding), he withdrew all his other applications because he knew that he was going to attend BC. It is the right thing to do.
  • rixrix Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    Pride -- that's what I meant by ego.

But is it worth it if a consequence could be having their admission acceptance rescinded? Granted, they all don't publicize their actions in a newspaper article that lists their first and last names, which minimizes that risk.

At its best, it's bad behavior. At its worst, it's dishonorable and fraudulent.

Students complain about the stress of applying to college, but doing this directly contributes to the stress for others.
  • cafesimonecafesimone Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    In the case of Early Action, I think it should be up to the applicant - whether they have a hard financial situation and need to compare offers from other schools, or whether they have a change of heart into the year (THIS HAPPENS A LOT) and decide that the EA school is not their first choice after all, etc. Schools give the EA option because they recognize this.

ED, on the other hand, is ED for a reason.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    Don't the counselors at the HS know that this is occurring? After all, they are the ones that must take care of most of paperwork with regard to the HS info needed by colleges? I am not excusing the behavior--agree w/previous posters that it is indeed a binding agreement and colleges should exercise their right to rescind. Just have to wonder how much the counselor knows and is in effect condoning this behavior. Could colleges also look at the counselor and hold them responsible for this type of behavior as well?
  • ArmoMomArmoMom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    ^
    I will asuume they know because they have to sign the form too saying that they informed the student of the binding decision.
  • BtheB44BtheB44 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    I have a friend who got into a great school ED with financial aid he described as "quite satisfactory." He still kept 15 applications out there, and has been admitted to most of them. Some friends approached him and he offered a series of excuses before finally saying he wanted to see "what he was worth on the market." It bothers me.
  • bhmommabhmomma Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    My daughter has heard of some disgruntled "waitlisted" students calling ED schools and anonymously ratting them out. Urban legend? who knows, but possible.....
  • librarymom123librarymom123 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    D was accepted ED II to Lehigh in Feb. We sent the deposit and she waited until Lehigh received it before sending three withdrawls to RD schools and "No, thanks" to two EA schools.

She received a letter last week from the Dean of Admissions of one of the RD schools from which she withdrew (a very competitive school, btw) and the dean thanked her for letting them know about her decision. It definitely sent the message that colleges appreciate a student withdrawing rather than playing the ego game. The letter ended with "If your plans change or you are ever considering a transfer, please do not hesitate to contact us."

No burned bridges...my daughter was glad she withdrew. It was the right thing to do.
  • gyrheadgyrhead - Posts: 19 New Member
    I have come across posts in this forum where the author states something to the effect of " I got into University of XYZ ED but I am still waiting on Colleges R and Q" long after the ED deadline has passed.
This discussion has been closed.