Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applying to Mac as Junior?

macademymacademy Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
I am a current sophmore, and I saw on the Macalester website that Juniors are sometimes accepted to the school. If that were to happen, would I go straight there without a high school diploma, or would I finish my senior year and then go? Also, what are my chances of getting accepted?

Freshman Year: AP Biology, Geometry, World History, French 2, English 9, Intro to Art, Journalism wGPA 3.5
Sophmore Year: AP US History, Advanced Chem, Advanced US Lit, Advanced Algebra 2, French 3, Creative Writing, Drawing wGPA 3.5
Future Junior Classes: Advanced Pre-calc, Physics, AP English Lit, AP Modern Euro, AP French 4, AP Art History, Painting

ECs: Amnesty International, Political Club, Jew Club, GSA, French Club
Volunteer: I tutor at my school, and I will complete at least fifty hours of volunteer work at a dog shelter.
PSAT scores: Reading 720 Writing 620 Math 520

I might be taking two english classes next year and just graduating a year early?
Also, does applying early decision help your chances significantly?
Post edited by macademy on

Replies to: Applying to Mac as Junior?

• owliceowlice Registered User Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    Some schools accept students when the students are juniors, and these kids skip their senior year and go on to college. Some may graduate from HS early, so will have a diploma, and others will not.

My S is going to college early, so will not have a HS diploma when he enters college. He can get a HS diploma after his freshman year in college if he fulfills certain requirements and petitions his current HS principal for the diploma.

The other questions you ask, about your chances and ED, I cannot answer.
  • CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Registered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    Uh, I think your just accepted early. Though you still have to complete high school.
  • AccessAcademicsAccessAcademics - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    If they accept you, you could go after your junior year or defer and wait until after your senior year.

Be prepared to present a very good reason why you would like to start college early. Without a compelling "gifted in academics" reason or some other unique life circumstance (like a life-limiting illness or the like), your chances for admission are low.

I'd really work hard on yoru math SAT score if you want to be a really competitive candidate. Your SAT score for a sophomore isn't bad, but it's uninspiring.

*Just based on what you wrote* about your ECs, you come across as a fairly cerebral candidate who's doing the standard types of ECs that everyone does. Consider finding something that makes you more unique, suggests a high level of creativity or an entrepreneurial spirit, or indicates a willingness to work hard at something simple/boring/physical (like a job, or volunteering for Habitat for Humanity).

Early decision can help some, but it's usually not a significant advantage.
  • SmallCollegesFTWSmallCollegesFTW Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    I saw a kid on the mac forum who was younger (i think a junior) who applied to mac and they sent him a personalized rejection letter, that said that he was one of the very top applicants, but could not offer him admission this year due to legal issues with his age.
  • anechkakithanechkakith Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    I did this but not at Mac. It means you don't complete high school, so you don't need the diploma. I don't know what Mac's policy is, but I found that my admissions results were basically what I would have expected if I had been a regular applicant. I wasn't a super outstanding applicant either, but I did quite well even without a diploma. I wrote an extra essay about why I wanted to start college early, but otherwise the process was just like it was for all of my senior friends.

Just as an extra note, some schools will not let you apply ED if you're skipping your senior year, so you'd have to check that with Mac.
  • owliceowlice Registered User Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    SmallColleges, I had that issue with my son; I contacted a college that was much closer than the one he planned to apply to, just to find out whether they ever took a kid early. They were very interested (because of his SAT scores), but required either a HS diploma or GED. Kid won't have a diploma before the fall, and he can't get a GED until he turns 16, which wouldn't be until after school starts in the fall.

The school could exempt him from that requirement; the deciding issue ended up being his age, though -- he'd have to be at least 16 to live on campus, and all freshmen must live on campus.

(They did encourage me to have him apply next year, though, either as a freshman or transfer student!! :D )
  • macademymacademy Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    AccessAcademics, thanks for the tips. I'm planning on signing up for a course designed to help bring my math score up. You mentioned that I needed to do something to show some creativity... I'm really passionate about environmental activism, and last summer I completed an internship with environment ohio. As for why I'm applying early: I feel like college, particularly mine, which is a prep school, helps people find what they want to do in college and beyond. I've already found that, I want to be an international lawyer, and I'm ready to devote my full energy to that. Also, my dad got a job in Rochester Minnesota, but since I'm still in school in Ohio, my mom and him would have to live separately for two years if I graduated regularly.
    Thanks everyone for replying!
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    I'm considering graduating early too, the advice I have gotten is to call the school before applying. (I'm looking at a public school) Another school I'm looking at, Cornell, asks that applicants ask for permissions from the dean of the school they are looking to apply to if they want to apply early. One further thing I've thought of is to apply to schools as if I'm going to graduate, and if I am accepted at where I want to go, to go ahead and take PE (online, 2nd 8 weeks college class) and meet graduate requirements... and if not save PE until the next year and apply again.

Also, I would highly recommend you earn your high school diploma. A lot of schools won't accept you without one, and many times your school has to count you as a drop out.

I don't know much about Mac, but I would assume colleges only like those who graduate early when they meet the same level classes and approximately same SAT scores as everyone else, have above average ECs, and have some reason for applying early.

(My school offers no AP classes and I've had to complete the majority of my courses online.)

Here's me:

Freshman
    AP Art History, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-calculus Honors, Engineering Honors, World History Honors, Advanced Composition Honors, English I Honors, Applications of Science Honors

Sophomore
    AP Calculus BC, AP Physics B, AP Spanish Language {SPA 111: Elementary Spanish I, SPA 112: Elementary Spanish II, SPA 211: Intermediate Spanish I, SPA 212: Intermediate Spanish II, skipped labs: SPA 181, SPA 182, SPA 281, SPA 282}, English II Honors, Chemistry Honors, NASA Physics Honors

Junior (Taking 2 summer classes which are an official part of my junior schedule)
    College: General Chemistry I, Calculus III, Discrete Math, Differential Equations, Introduction to Mathematical Logic, Introduction to Ethics, Bowling-beginning
    High School: English III Honors, English IV Honors, Biology Honors, Earth/Environmental Science Honors, Civics and Economics Honors, United States Honors

SAT
    670 CR, 560 M, 640 W

I'm in the same boat as you, I need to raise my math score at least 100 points.
This discussion has been closed.