Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are your top frustrations with college admissions?

anony2014anony2014 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey all,

I'm a newly registered member to this forum (although I have been reading it obsessively on a daily basis for the past 5 months).

(In full disclosure, I'm an Asian parent)

I'm starting to help my son with his applications and just wanted to vent for a little as I'm quite frustrated with trying to figure out how I can make my son stand out within the increasingly competitive applicant pool.

I'd love to get a discussion going on what parents feel are their top frustrations in terms of getting their kids into a good college.

I feel like mine are pretty symptomatic of Asian children:

- No super outstanding ECs (varsity athlete but no state or national ranking, some club officer positions but not the President of any clubs)
- Lopsided SAT score (good math, bad verbal/writing)
- Great GPA, Great SAT II scores
- Lack of creativity with essay writing

In general, my son just comes off as a typical Asian applicant. I'd love for him to go to an Ivy or Ivy-equivalent, but I'm just so worried that there's nothing super unique about his profile.

What are other people's main frustrations?
This discussion has been closed.