Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are you guarnteed admissions to at least one uc school?

money4collegemoney4college Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
Are you guarnteed admissions to at least one uc school?
Post edited by money4college on

Replies to: Are you guarnteed admissions to at least one uc school?

• money4collegemoney4college Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    does anyon eknow
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,218 Super Moderator
    I doubt it. Aren't the UCs supposed to be for the best in CA (top 10% at one time)? The remainder are what the Cal State and CCs are for.
  • powayparentpowayparent Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    My understanding is that you're guaranteed a spot in one of the schools, IF you have a GPA of 3.5+ So if you're on the low end, you may get into only one school, and it is likely to be UC Riverside or UC Merced (demand is lightest for these schools).
  • kimb0919kimb0919 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    so you had to apply to every uc school? I applied to ucla, ucsb, uci, and ucsd and was rejected from all of them.
  • Mom2jejMom2jej Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I think you had to apply to any of the UCs you may have wanted to go to. Although, you can try calling UC Riverside or Merced and see what they have to say. I know my son got a letter saying he was guaranteed a spot in a UC, but I don't remember the requirements exactly.

It's worth a call.
  • Mom2jejMom2jej Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I should say, it's worth a call IF you qualified for the guarantee.
  • uninfatuateduninfatuated Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    i've heard that if you meet the UC A-G requirements and or UC GPA then you are at least guranteed acceptance to a UC campus. but i'm not completely sure about that. i wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that gurantee because of the economy.

cal states lowered their admissions numbers greatly because of their budget.
  • rixrix Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    In past years, if a UC-eligible California resident who applied on time was not admitted to any of the UCs he or she applied to, he or she would be contacted and asked if they wanted to be considered for admission to any UCs that had space available. This was called the being in the "Referral Pool". If the student indicated they wanted to do this, they would eventually be offered a spot. Historically, these spots have been at the least selective campuses -- Riverside and Merced. Santa Cruz used to accept referral pool students, but I don't think they have recently. UC does this to keep its promise to the state that they guarantee a spot somewhere in the system for every UC eligible student who wants to attend. Because of funding cuts for UC by the state in the past year, there were rumblings that UC would no longer be able to do this, but I believe in the end they agreed to continue the practice. I think this generally happens later in the Spring, after the May 1 reply date, when campuses have a better sense of how many students are going to enroll.

A UC factsheet explaining what they did last year is available online:
    http://www.ucop.com/news/factsheets/2008/fall_2008_admissions_summary_e.pdf.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,790 Senior Member
    I thought the guarantee was intended for the top ten percent.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    the goal is top 12.5%. My understanding is also that if a student meets the minimum UC requirements, a place will be found... that place is called Merced.
  • chen1111chen1111 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Three UC schools sent us letter last October and gave my D guarantee admission to any major. They are UCR, UCI, and UCD. My D applied to 6 UCs. She got in all six of them (UCR, UCI, UCD, UCB, UCLA, UCSD) with Biology major.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    chen1111 -- I'll bet that was the ELC letter, which guarantees admission to the mid-tier UCS when a student is top 4% of their graduating class. Looks like UCSB and UCSC did not participate in that program this year.
  • svcreddy91svcreddy91 Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
  • alamemomalamemom Registered User Posts: 6,389 Senior Member
    money4college, are you a California resident, and did you apply to any UCs?

In addition to the requirements other post-ers have mentioned (3.0+ "UC GPA," all A-G requirements, SAT or ACT plus two SAT subject tests in two different areas, transcript showing high school graduation) you have to be a California resident and you must have submitted a complete application in advance of the deadline for the guarantee to apply. (Even students with ELC guarantees must complete all the listed requirements.)

The guarantee is not to any specific campus, so students who wish to insure acceptance should apply to one or more of the least-selective UCs. If you chose not to apply to the least-selective campuses (UCR and UCM) and were denied by the campuses you did apply to, you have to hope there is still space available at those campuses. Email to inquire.
  • iskanderiskander Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    I thought even if you're Californian doesn't mean you automatically get into one UC...
This discussion has been closed.