Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

Replies to: I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

• chenman333chenman333 Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    1000+ dollars? I'm sure people would pay tens of thousands for a spot in yale.
  • cindysphinxcindysphinx Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    It's a fascinating idea. Yale could increase its current entering class by one. Auction the new spot off. All proceeds to go charity.

I think it would sell for, um . . . $150,000.
  • ZenbadabingZenbadabing Registered User Posts: 931 Member
    The fact that you're even considering pestering them for reconsideration just goes to show that you're not ivy material.

Stop being a cry baby and move on.
  • vibragreenvibragreen - Posts: 89 Junior Member
    The fact that you're "crushed" by the fact you didn't get into the school signals to me that you have a lot of maturing and growing up to do before you're ready for any college.

Though the Ivy leagues do seem to cater to the over-privileged whiny white demographic.
  • kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    The London School of Economics is outstanding. What are you complaining about?

Given your international status, your subpar SAT scores (relative to the highly competitive and capable international pool), and financial need, you shouldn't be surprised.
  • darlingdarling Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    I'm not sure how your chances of transferring will look once they realize that you're the same person who wrote them a whining letter..
  • miawritesmiawrites Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    A lot people on here are way too harsh. If you're on here, you probably understand how stressful this whole process is. So give the OP a break.

I think you shouldn't send them an appeal. If that post above me is true, wow, you have really great options aside from Yale! Be proud of that. I just got rejected by Stanford, and I'm kind of crushed too. Which, I'm sorry, doesn't make me immature. ^ I have other good options, and I'm moving on too, but excuse us for being sad a few days after decisions were sent.

ANd yeah, there is still grad school. :)
  • collegealum314collegealum314 Registered User Posts: 6,768 Senior Member
    A bit off topic, but I wonder what a Yale acceptance would go for if it could be sold on Ebay

Admissions spots are essentially sold to so-called "development admits." I've heard donations of greater than $500,000 will do it, but that might be only for famous people.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    $500K? Not at Yale. Some other schools, yes. Not Yale.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,521 Senior Member
    The number I have heard is "seven figures" for a top Ivy "development" admission. What can 500k buy a college anymore? A few dorm rooms? Take a look at Princeton's new Whitman College (Meg Whitman e-Bay founder) complex- that type of donation would translate into a solid hook!
  • python38python38 Registered User Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
    Go to LSE! As a Brit, I can assure you that you will not regret it. London is beautiful.
  • nastynate0315nastynate0315 Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    Nothing will come of this. You need to pursue your other options and focus on what's good.
  • Colleges00701Colleges00701 - Posts: 1,790 Senior Member
    i can't believe your complaing about getting into LSE, everyone has heard of it, no one has not heard of it......
  • 2-iron2-iron Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    Fellow Yale rejectee here.

Look, if you really want to go to Yale and will accept no alternative, take a gap year to do something ridiculously extraordinary and apply again next year.

If that doesn't work, repeat. If you are still rejected on your third try, you are out of luck...I believe Yale only lets the same person apply thrice.
  • StrangeCamusStrangeCamus Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    i know. it sucks.
    10char?
This discussion has been closed.