Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

redlightredlight Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
I'm crushed. So crushed.

I want to write Yale a letter asking them if they could PLEASE reconsider.

Have any colleges ever done that?
Post edited by redlight on

Replies to: I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

• sccrdave05sccrdave05 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    no they will not reconsider
  • redlightredlight Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    So it's not impossible--it's happened before. Can you tell me more about these cases?

I'll still write the letter...I have nothing to lose, except my pride which I don't really care about in this case.
    So it's not impossible--it's happened before. Can you tell me more about these cases?

I'll still write the letter...I have nothing to lose, except my pride which I don't really care about in this case.
  • stinkyratstinkyrat Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    I doubt it, but everyone feels your pain. Chin up! College admissions isn't the final word on who you are, the most random people get in.
  • blueduckyblueducky Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Dude, if they did that, they'd be deluged with letters/complaints. Do you really think that will happen? The faster you get over it, the better it will be.

Your life will not suck without Yale.
  • entomomentomom Registered User Posts: 23,658 Senior Member
    Sorry, but it's time to move on to another great school. Since you were rejected, there are still the WL people between you and acceptance, that isn't going to happen.
  • AccessAcademicsAccessAcademics - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    In a dozen years working in the industry, I've only ever heard of two people getting into the Ivies on appeal -- and they weren't recently. I'm very sorry for your disappointment and hope that you can find another school to fall in love with. There are many possibilities out there!
  • AMGLeagueAMGLeague Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Yale people are elite and near the top of the social ladder. They need not to beg. You're not built for Yale. You'll be begging through your 4 years there.
  • urmomgoes2colegeurmomgoes2colege - Posts: 512 Member
    AMGLeauge is right. Being depressed is normal, pitying is normal, but when you're so desperate you're willing to grovel and @$$kiss your way in then your life is pretty pathetic.
  • darlingdarling Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    i got rejected. I was however, smart enough to apply to other schools that I also love.

Yale was my top choice.. but seriously, if every one of use wrote a groveling letter in, the admissions committee would get so angry that they wouldn't admit anybody because they wouldn't want to set a bad precedent. Suck it up, and focus on the awesome schools you got in to.
  • CoffeeAddict9716CoffeeAddict9716 Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    Get over it, move on, and go to one of the zillions of other great colleges you undoubtedly got accepted into...

I got rejected as well, waitlisted and sooo many places I can count them on both hands, and in at only 3 places...and I haven't cried one tear because I get that admissions is a crapshoot at Yale and the like. Don't take it personally.

Good luck!
    Well, at least I having nothing to lose by writing the letter. Except perhaps my pride, which I may have already lost through this thread...
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    Entomom has wise words. Grieve, move on, spend the energy looking forward to where you are going. Everyone who even applies to a school that accepts under 10%, and nearly half are hooked, needs to really not take this personally.
  • Secret Asian ManSecret Asian Man Registered User Posts: 2,497 Senior Member
    Onwards and upwards
    I sent the letter. I don't think I have anything to lose, and if the dean completely ignores it, oh well, at least I tried.

And at least I can try to transfer next year, right?
This discussion has been closed.