Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Post your incredible acceptances and waitlists despite your low stats!

Replies to: Post your incredible acceptances and waitlists despite your low stats!

• colboycolboy Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    wow, i guess there are more to people than numbers :]
  • flyingllamaflyingllama Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
    If anyone is going to post similar situations, please specify if you were any of the following: recruited athlete, legacy, ethnic minority, or very rich.
  • 123q123q Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    If not too much trouble, could you also include awards, number & type of internships, # of clubs, and any reasons you think got you in. Thank you.
  • Ju_liaaJu_liaa Registered User Posts: 559 Member
    Jeez people don't get too complicated. Just say where, test scores, and what you think got you in. If you have no idea, then you must be a really joyeous soul XD
  • Black's LawBlack's Law Registered User Posts: 490 Member
    This rekindles all hope that was lost lol! Keep it going people, I need to feel better.
  • flyingllamaflyingllama Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
    remember please say if you were a legacy or something. These posts are nice but I still don't want to be fooled with false hope. It would be even stronger if you were accepted with low stats AND you were unhooked, so say so
  • PrismPrism Registered User Posts: 444 Member
    Wow, this is an amazing thread. o.O <3

Congratulations to all of you.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,806 Senior Member
    It is interesting how short this thread is, considering how many people post on CC.
  • Damon1570Damon1570 Registered User Posts: 565 Member
    There is hope! My test scores are the low part of my application. Good to know that I may still have a chance at the colleges I'm applying to!
  • Ankur1521Ankur1521 Registered User Posts: 1,024 Senior Member
    UW gpa 3.6
    SAT 1840
    SAT 2 680 and 630

Got into UC Berkeley, although I wrote great essays.
  • sparknerd2010sparknerd2010 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I have hope again!!!!
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    It is interesting how short this thread is, considering how many people post on CC.

These threads are always short and they always have a poster correcting the posters who do not admit to their hook.

There are few mysteries in college admissions.
  • elsijfdlelsijfdl Registered User Posts: 2,369 Senior Member
    These posts are nice but I still don't want to be fooled with false hope.

If I were you I would proceed with the assumption that 95% of the people accepted with <2000 SAT scores are URM or athletes.

Considering at most top schools <2000 scorers make up about 25% of the enrolled class, and that URM/athletes constitute about the same proportion, it is a highly likely possibility that these two are the same 25%.

My anecdotal experience at a top university would confirm this to be true (very rare to meet a white/asian/wealthy/whatever person with sub 1350 scores (equivalent at the time I applied to about a 2000 now).

There is also the fact that it's rare for someone with a score that low to ADMIT scoring that low, so that could also be a factor, however I can attest that at some point with most of the people I knew, SAT scores came up, and the lowest I ever heard of from a white/asian/etc student was 1380.

That being said, it is of course still possible as a non-athlete, non URM to be accepted with those stats, but it would likely have to involve some significant and unusual exogenous achievement on your part.
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    I would proceed with the assumption that 95% of the people accepted with <2000 SAT scores are URM or athletes.

And another 4.99% are staff kids, legacies and development.

Also, URM, athletes and the groups I mention are usually over 40%.
  • aajjcaajjc Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    29 ACT, 3.6 Recalculated UW Michigan GPA.

Got into Michigan for the fall of 2009 as an out of stater back in December.
This discussion has been closed.