Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Leadership positions

sqdwfe13sqdwfe13 Registered User Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
What exactly constitutes "leadership" in ECs? Do appointed positions in your school's student government count as leadership (appointed secretary)? What about being a council member of your city's Youth Advisory Council?

If anyone could give me a brief overview of what colleges are looking for exactly when they look for examples of leadership, that would be great.
Post edited by sqdwfe13 on

Replies to: Leadership positions

• sqdwfe13sqdwfe13 Registered User Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    bump 10char
  • NWdivisionCHAMPSNWdivisionCHAMPS Registered User Posts: 1,024 Senior Member
    Being involved in an organization you enjoy for an extended period of time, then eventually showing leadership in that as a result.

For example, I joined math team as a freshman, did a lot of work, got the favor of the coach. Went to nationals 2 years as part of the team that got 8th in nation, and placed. Now I am junior-class president and in the main running for president as a senior.
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    As far as admissions officers are concerned, I really don't think they know whether the Vice President of the Chess Club actually does anything that constitutes leadership or not.

But as far as reality is concerned, a leader is someone in an organization that takes responsibility of some kind and devotes time to fulfilling it.
    Okay DwightEisenhower, I'm assuming you're implying that my appointed position in my school's student government IS in fact leadership. After all, that is a responsibility, and so is being a member of my city's Youth Advisory Council.

Does anyone else want to add something about what colleges consider leadership?
  • AccessAcademicsAccessAcademics - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Leadership can also mean being the preeminent youth "performer" in a certain area of interest. For example, the lead role in a youth ballet can constitute leadership.

Leadership can also mean doing something that shows initiative -- i.e. founding a new club, being an advocate for some sort of political issue that is important to you, or raising money for a good cause.

Being on the city's youth advisory council sounds like a decent leadership position. Any type of civic involvement can constitute leadership.
    ^Thanks, that's really reassuring as I am very civically involved.

By the way AccessAcademics if you don't mind naming it, for what college did you work in the academics department? If you don't want to say, can you at least give a general description of the college (most selective, highly selective, public, private, etc.)?
This discussion has been closed.