Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm a non US citizen who has studied in the US for all years of high school...

machackmachack Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
Are my chances equal compared to US citizens, or am i just considered as one of international students (who have a much smaller chance).

I've been in the Us since 4th grade, but im neither a permanent resident nor a citizen.

Post edited by machack on

Replies to: I'm a non US citizen who has studied in the US for all years of high school...

  • darlingdarling Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    If you're not a permanent resident/ not a citizen, you are considered an International applicant.
    It doesn't matter how long you have been in the US.
  • RobertoGonzalezRobertoGonzalez Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    It depends on the school you apply to.
    For most schools, though, you are international. (But you don't have to take the TOEFL.)
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,725 Senior Member
    Citizens, permanent residents, and certain other aliens are eligible for federally determined financial aid (details about the "other" categories is on the FAFSA website). If you don't fall into this group, you are international for financial aid.

    Certain visa categories will allow you to study in the US without converting to an F-1. Each category has its own rules, so you need to find out what rule(s) your visa category falls under.

    With a US HS transcript, ECs, and letters of recommendation, you fall into a domestic category as far as interpreting your file. This makes life easier for the admissions office, and may get you put into a "domestic" category as far as admissions is concerned.

    There also is the question of in-state vs. out-of-state residence. Each state (and sometimes each public college/university in that state) sets its own policies. You need to find out what the rules are where you live/study.

    Overall, this means that you have a big research project ahead of you! Good luck!
  • SarangJaeSarangJae Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    exact same thing for me!
    been here since 4th grade
    but... still an international student!
    really screws up my college chances
    most schools don't accept that many international students comparatively.
  • haikumarukuchanhaikumarukuchan Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member

    a lot of the schools (especially public) will not care about your citizenship, is part of the non-discrimination policy and they will respect the in-state tuition. However, there will be no Aid, I'm a similar situation but processing my green card.

    If u apply to Ivies (and this is a fact from Yale) if u get in, they will not even give a damn you don't have a green card and can get aid.
  • haikumarukuchanhaikumarukuchan Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member
    Guys... check the policies of your schools... many (not all) will NOT give u INTERNATIONAL TUITION because YOU DONT HAVE AN F-1 VISA,

    some policies (like UCs, CSUs) state they CANNOT judge an admission or any admission related shiz with NATIONALITY, RACE, CITIZENSHIP STATUS, GENDER, PREGNANT, AGE, Sexual PReferance, etc.

    so yeah.... but as I said

    No FAFSA=blows
This discussion has been closed.