Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to be like those rich kids

xmasxmas Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
edited March 2009 in College Admissions
all the rich kids seem to know all about these programs and scholarships that I never heard of or seen. like RSI.

How did you find about about these things. And in your scholarship searches, how do you know which ones are for you? Do you get it from your friends, teachers, family, internet or something else?

Also, how do they get so smart? Acing the SAT ACTs, nailing all A's, involved in like 5 research projects at the same time and captain of this and that. I understand parents and proper guidance and stuff, but what can I do by myself? More importantly, where do you draw your inspiration? Or do you just roll with the punches and do work like crazy, while you don't even seem to try? I refuse to believe that you're JUST smarter and better than me. I REFUSE
Post edited by xmas on

Replies to: How to be like those rich kids

• CollegehelllpCollegehelllp Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    Expectations.
  • xmasxmas Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    a little more elaborate?
  • Teh0thersideTeh0therside Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I think you're confusing being rich with having parents that are involved in the process and your intended area of study. My parents are well off, but they're both accountants and had no idea whatsoever how I could study engineering. Make friends with lots of people who are going to study in your general area, read random forums like this one for tons of different ideas, and just get out and do it on your own, don't wait for parents to research your future for you.
  • anissaanissa Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    ^^couldn't have said it better myself.
  • AccessAcademicsAccessAcademics - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    If you go to an "elite" private or certain public schools, then you have a guidance counselor who makes this information readily available to all students.
  • CollegehelllpCollegehelllp Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    Being that many "rich" kids have parents who "succeeded" in life themselves, the pressure is placed upon the child to follow through as well.

That being said, the kids also have every single advantage at their disposal as they'll be provided with tutors, counselors, and most imaginable resources.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to hard work. Having a consistent work ethic and being determined to succeed is exponentially more potent than a few extra books.

The real question is how do you stay motivated throughout life?
  • rsxwheeeeeersxwheeeeee Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    in the time that you made that post, you could've have brought ur grade up in Calc to a high B and ur SAT Writing from 60 to 66 in MC.
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    Just keep reading CC, it's all right here.
  • hellojanhellojan Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    Common wisdom suggests that educated parents will invest more heavily in their children's education. This includes, but isn't limited to, the necessary attention given to a growing child to nurture their intellectual, analytical, and social abilities.

These same parents are also more likely to financially invest. They pay for tutors, summer courses, test prep materials. College adcoms are aware of this.

Take, for example, the Dalton School's class of 2008. There was an UPROAR by the parents who fought - tooth and nail - to have their children admitted. What happened? No one got into Harvard.

Here's the problem that these parents don't see: when a child is given every imaginable resource, has research opportunities with Fields Medalists and Nobel Laureates, has a composer in residence, etc etc... and the child doesn't make EXTRAORDINARY contributions to their school or, for that matter the world, well, we've just proven how average they are.

So, when adcoms see a URM student with a disadvantaged background, a lousy school, no familial history of post-secondary education with a SAT of 2000, they stop and think for a moment. Is that really worse than an Andover student with a 2150?
This discussion has been closed.