Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Highest-level math course

2»

Replies to: Highest-level math course

• ReachForDreamsReachForDreams Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    "whether or not you are able to take Calculus your senior year of high school is mostly dependent on a test that you take in 6th grade, and there isn't really any way to go higher, unless you take summer classes or something are really able to get the school to give you credit for that. And I would hope that colleges don't really care about how you do in 6th grade."

That's the same for us, which is why I had to take Geometry during the summer to get to the highest level of math my school would let us go. I don't like how it all depended on one test at that young of an age. I did not like summer school and it was one of the worst experiences I've had. The only good thing about it is that they make it easier than the normal 1 year class, at least where I live.
  • sqdwfe13sqdwfe13 Registered User Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    I forgot to say, I am on a normal path for my school. I am a sophomore and take Algebra 2, most people actually take Algebra 2 in 10th grade. But I might not have a senior year, so that's why I won't get to take Calculus.
  • applicannotapplicannot Registered User Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    If you want a point of reference, at my school, the toughest track starts in seventh grade:

Algebra 1 (7) --> Geometry (8) --> Honors Algebra II (9) --> Pacesetters (Honors Trig and Honors PreCal) (10) --> AP Calculus AB --> Calculus 2 or AP Statistics

I've never heard of someone from my school going to college without using this track, but correlation =/= causation.
  • ab2013ab2013 Registered User Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Most do like to see (and some even require) at least one year of calculus. Others only wish to see four years. Depends on the school.
    That's for people who want to go to like the Top 25 schools. Remember that taking calculus is an opportunity that some people just don't have.

In any case, if you took Precalc as the highest level class and you're school does not offer more, you should have your GC mention this in her/his rec. (But do keep in mind that if you're applying to the top schools, a good workaround is to take classes at a local college or university).
2»
This discussion has been closed.