Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What's The American Equivalent of a GCSE?

python38python38 Registered User Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
edited May 2009 in College Admissions

What's the American equivalent (in high school terms) of a GCSE? How many years of studying that subject would it equal?

I ask because I'm a homeschooled student, currently going through two GCSE books in Biology and Chemistry for a year, and afterwards I'm going to take the Subject Tests in Biology and Chemistry (I have great prep books for those, as well). Is this enough preparation in Biology and Chemistry for the top universities?

Thanks :).

Replies to: What's The American Equivalent of a GCSE?

  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,472
    There isn't any exact equivalent. The American system is different. But every United States admission committee will know what a GCSE is, as all such committees have officers who specialize in evaluating foreign credentials.
This discussion has been closed.