Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ways to improve Ivy League application?

hey131313hey131313 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
edited May 2009 in College Admissions
I'm focusing on medicine in my applications. Are there any activities/volunteer/etc. I can do that would improve my app? Details please, thanks!
Post edited by hey131313 on

Replies to: Ways to improve Ivy League application?

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Top level colleges are searching for students who have a high degree of innate curiosity, drive and achievement -- not a checklist of activities done. To some point, it's what you ARE and not what you DO that comes across in the application.

That being said, ask around your Guidance Counselor's office or science teachers for advice. Then find the one that is most challenging and interesting to you. Good luck.
  • SirensongSirensong User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 963 Member
    Maybe an internship or a volunteer position at a hospital? They're nothing special, but will at least show some focus.
  • nooobnooob Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    medicine is probably the most common field that ivy-applicants say they want to go into. To make yourself stand out, don't talk about medicine. You won't even STUDY medicine in undergrad. That's all for grad school, which has absolutely nothing to do with what you learn in undergrad.
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    What are your other passions, interests, activities, etc? I'm sure an admissions officer would love to see a prospective pre-med with an insatiable interest in politics, for once.
This discussion has been closed.