right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

How many schools did y'all apply to?

ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight 439 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 545 Member
edited May 2009 in College Admissions
I'm a rising senior. I have a list of maybe 9 or so schools I like. My parents have a list of like 5 other schools she likes. I don't think I can handle all those applications, but she suggests applying pretty much everywhere and hoping I get lucky somewhere. So, all you already admitted kids or current college students --- how many schools did you apply? And out of those, how many did you get rejected/accepted/deferred from?
edited May 2009
15 replies
Post edited by ChasingStarlight on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How many schools did y'all apply to?

• CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze 5143 replies260 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    I'm also a rising senior and would suggest to apply to a good amount of universities and see where you get accepted. More universities you apply to ( as you say nine) chances are you may get accepted into at least 1-3.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight 439 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 545 Member
    that fail from my parents to "she" was because i originally had mom lol
    · Reply · Share
  • MPD14MPD14 312 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 363 Member
    Rising senior here as well, so far my list is:
    Reaches:
    Carnegie Mellon
    Bucknell
    Lehigh

Matches:
    Villanova
    Lafayette
    Boston U
    Va Tech

Safeties:
    Manhattan College

Thats more or less it, many will be added and some will be taken off
    · Reply · Share
  • ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight 439 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 545 Member
    Yeah I have

Reach:
    Columbia
    Brown
    Dartmouth
    Penn
    Duke
    UChicago
    UCLA (OOS)
    UCBerkeley (OOS)
    Georgetown
    Amherst

Fit: Tufts, UMich

Safety- OSU

topppp heavy. But I don't know for sure anymore since I never truly considered LAC's and now they seem awesome.

Planning to major in economics or international relations, and then go to law school for international law or go into international business
    · Reply · Share
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower 1677 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    I applied to 10. I got fee waivers though so it was nice; I didn't have to tap into my small Dunkin' Donuts employee fortune.

As you said, your list is a bit top-heavy. While you're definitely a competitive applicant for a lot of those schools, it would definitely be prudent to add in some more matches or safeties.
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah I just don't know what though. Parents will make me go to OSU Honors if its not a top 25 school anyway :/
    · Reply · Share
  • itryitry 480 replies68 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 548 Member
    Sounds like an Asian parent, ivied are the only ones lol.
    In a few years I will probably do around 8
    Aghh a lot of essays!
    · Reply · Share
  • Bell CurvesBell Curves 381 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 406 Member
    I wonder if this is too much, 13 schools:
    Every Ivy = 8 schools
    MIT
    Stanford
    U of Waterloo
    U of T
    McGill
    · Reply · Share
    jeez, every ivy? y'know, they're all really different.

but yeah, i'll end up applying to 13 or so as well
    · Reply · Share
  • Bell CurvesBell Curves 381 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 406 Member
    hmmm, doesnt common app cover half my list?
    · Reply · Share
    I think so. There are supplements and stuff though. And sometimes, if a school offers both their own app and the common app, it gives a better impression to use their own app because it shows you took the time to do theirs separately.
    · Reply · Share
    But do I have to pay more to use the universities own app? I did some research, all the ivies except columbia uses common app. Stanford also uses common app. Thats 8 out of 10 US school that uses common app.
    · Reply · Share
    hmm i dunno about that. application costs are going to suck. i'm afraid of spending hundreds of dollars and then not get in anywhere :/
    · Reply · Share
    I wonder if I can get fee waivers...I'm applying for financial aid anyways.
    · Reply · Share
    any '13-ers wishing to speak up?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity