Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

is homosexuality considered a minority?

Replies to: is homosexuality considered a minority?

• NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    Homosexuals are minorities of society, but that doesn't mean that they are considered underrepresented minorities that colleges are trying to attract.
  • itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    Wait, certain religions are minorities?
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Many religions are minorities. It doesn't help in admissions, though.
  • itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    okay. i didnt think so
  • verylikeawhaleverylikeawhale Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    It would be awesome if there was an "I kissed a girl and I liked it" box to check on the Common App...unfortunately, yeah, I don't think being gay will help too much.
  • Robespierre21Robespierre21 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Yes, being gay does help you in the admissions process. I'm hoping to get into the University of Pennsylvania and I think I have a pretty good shot since I am number 9 in a class of 752 and have fairly high SAT scores plus I am able to intertwine my homosexuality into an essay. I also know someone who was number 7 and wrote about his homosexuality in his application essay to Yale and he was accepted (I don't know if it was because of the fact that he was gay, but I'm sure it helped).
  • DemiitasseDemiitasse Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    I think it will help determine whether you will "fit" or not in the school's environment, and you could be very insightful in your essay, but it is not a hook that will give you an extra boost in admissions or anything like that, if that's what you mean.
  • hereicome09hereicome09 Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    This is absurd. Homosexuality shouldn't under any circumstances help get u into college. I don't believe in homosexuality and I don't think it should be used as a factor. Unless it can be proven that homosexuality is not a choice, which will NEVER happen, then it's pointless.
  • ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    hereicome, shut up.
  • ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    that being said, I don't really think it helps too much.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Ignoring hereicome, I have question for Robespierre21: on what basis do you believe sexual orientation is a plus for your acquaintance or for your upcoming application to UPenn? Plenty of LGBTG people get accepted into top schools. Plenty get rejected. Plenty of people intertwine their homosexuality into their essays and get rejected too. Good luck to you but I maintain my assertion that being gay is no special advantage -- especially in terms of top tier school admissions.
  • rmadden15rmadden15 Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    Since you don't BELIEVE homosexuality exists, it is an impossibility. Well, I believe it does, despite my dogmatic beliefs, so a paradox is formulated. And, if there is anything that college admission officers enjoy, that is a healthy challenge, therefore making the engimatic, ambigious gay community a treat to any college's research and diversity.

Anyways, leaning away from any sort of flame war, (unintentional pun about the gays), I am hoping my essay with the interweavement of homosexuality will help, but, I mean, everyone has troubles, and while mine were a bit worse, they made me a person that I am proud to be. So, leeching off the idea that my life was so hard because I, like so many others, was a bisexual in Catholic, southern home makes me feel....kinda dishonest, because I am glad those events happened... Make sense?
  • DemiitasseDemiitasse Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    As long as your essay is appealing---homosexual or not---you will lend some interest to your application. Your topic makes sense, but it will not necessarily "tip the scale" just because you explain your identity acceptance (which is a great thing); if it's a beautiful essay, it's a beautiful essay, and adcoms will appreciate it. But they will not make their decision with emphasis on your sexual orientation unless they believe you are/are not a good fit for their school. I think we both know that they might not be so happy about it if you are applying to a seriously conservative school.

...People like hereicome are ignorant, and that's all I have to say about that.

Good luck!
  • SirensongSirensong User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 963 Member
    If you can tie it into a good essay, then great, but the adcoms aren't going to give you any extra points for your sexual orientation, whatever it is.
  • be_somebodybe_somebody Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    Let's put it this way: one reason race is considered is that it is easy to spot and put in a college pamphlet. "We have a very diverse student body: 64% Caucasian, 10% African American, etc." which could make the college more appealing to minorities and others looking for a diverse student body. You can't do that with sexuality, because it's not an apparent trait. So it's neither advantageous nor disadvantageous for admissions to consider sexuality.

That is not to say that the essay could resonate with an admission officer, or disgust another. That way, it could "help" or "hurt" you, but frankly, that's out of your hands.

And hereicome, welcome to the 21st century. Wake up.
This discussion has been closed.