Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is homosexuality considered a minority?

Replies to: is homosexuality considered a minority?

• KMadKMad Registered User Posts: 320 Member
    It won't qualify you as a minority, but I think centering an essay around it or something could really be moving. It's not an observable trait, but you still have to overcome overwhelming challenges everyday, courtesy of ignorant jeks like hereicome.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    LOL: Maybe hereicome should write about the passionate viewpoint as the central topic of his/her essays!
  • yankeedoodleyankeedoodle Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    If I were you I would not add that on my app because there is no guarantee the college admissions officers will be open-minded, unfortunately.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    If the admissions officers would reject someone because the applicant is homosexual, that's not a college where the OP would be comfortable attending.
  • squadussquadus Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    Homosexuality just means that you are attracted to people with the same body parts as you.

I don't see how that can be labeled a minority for college admissions. And it's not like being homo is going to give you a better chance than a straight person at getting into a college. At some colleges, depending on the person reading your application, it may even hurt you.

@ Northstarmom

It's not like you'll know why you got rejected. Maybe the applicant isn't qualified, so you can't automatically assume a rejection means the college hates gays.
  • rmadden15rmadden15 Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    ^ That is not what he was saying. He is saying, that if a school is biased enough to actually reject someone for being gay, whether or not the person knows, then the person is better off in the long run. No one is assuming the school is biased, unless it is Liberty or something. :p
  • schee410schee410 Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    is it a hook if you write half of your personal statements about it?
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    It is never a hook. A hook is something that colleges must have such as players for their varsity football team. No college needs to have homosexuals.
  • schee410schee410 Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    ok well, not hook in that sense. hook in the sense that it grabs attention and possibly warrants a little laxness
  • rmadden15rmadden15 Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    Ha, homos can't play football. :P
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    schee: if the issue is to make a topic unique, dealing w/persecution for being homosexual is probably on the "top ten" list of essay topics. That being said, a fine essay can be made with it, regardless if the topic is a re-tread.

Good writers make even mundane topics gripping, mediocre writers make scintillating topics boring.

I often point people to this article
    Essays, Admission Information, Undergraduate Admission, U.Va.
  • ilurkphatilurkphat Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Haha, I actually laughed out loud, thanks Ktk
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    schee: if the issue is to make a topic unique, dealing w/persecution for being homosexual is probably on the "top ten" list of essay topics. That being said, a fine essay can be made with it, regardless if the topic is a re-tread.

Good writers make even mundane topics gripping, mediocre writers make scintillating topics boring.

I often point people to this article
    Essays, Admission Information, Undergraduate Admission, U.Va.

I link people to that all the time. That example is great.
  • EquilibriumEquilibrium Registered User Posts: 1,217 Senior Member
    BEING a homosexual does not affect your chances. However, your experiences, your lifestyle, and your character do.

How has your sexuality affected and influenced your lifestyle? What experiences have been the result of homosexuality?
  • House of LondonHouse of London - Posts: 1,268 Senior Member
    If a homosexual status does count as minority, don't count on it helping you to get into NYU.
This discussion has been closed.