right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

is homosexuality considered a minority?

13»

Replies to: is homosexuality considered a minority?

• T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 threads Senior Member
    schee: if the issue is to make a topic unique, dealing w/persecution for being homosexual is probably on the "top ten" list of essay topics. That being said, a fine essay can be made with it, regardless if the topic is a re-tread.

Good writers make even mundane topics gripping, mediocre writers make scintillating topics boring.

I often point people to this article
    Essays, Admission Information, Undergraduate Admission, U.Va.
    · Reply · Share
  • ilurkphatilurkphat 83 replies13 threads Junior Member
    Haha, I actually laughed out loud, thanks Ktk
    · Reply · Share
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower 1677 replies27 threads Senior Member
    schee: if the issue is to make a topic unique, dealing w/persecution for being homosexual is probably on the "top ten" list of essay topics. That being said, a fine essay can be made with it, regardless if the topic is a re-tread.

Good writers make even mundane topics gripping, mediocre writers make scintillating topics boring.

I often point people to this article
    Essays, Admission Information, Undergraduate Admission, U.Va.

I link people to that all the time. That example is great.
    · Reply · Share
  • EquilibriumEquilibrium 1157 replies60 threads Senior Member
    BEING a homosexual does not affect your chances. However, your experiences, your lifestyle, and your character do.

How has your sexuality affected and influenced your lifestyle? What experiences have been the result of homosexuality?
    · Reply · Share
  • House of LondonHouse of London - 1222 replies46 threads Senior Member
    If a homosexual status does count as minority, don't count on it helping you to get into NYU.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12808 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    This is stupid.

Are LGBT students minorities? Yes, of course they are. LGBT students are in the minority at every college and university across the country.

Are LGBT students underrepresented minorities at college and universities? There's no way to tell, because most colleges don't keep track of how many LGBT students attend their school. It's not really easy to count since not all students are comfortable with coming out and they don't even ask about it on applications or student surveys. Likely, they are underrepresented, but there's no way to tell.

Will stating that you are LGBT help you get into college? Depends on the school, but probably not. But then again, simply being African American or an athlete or a legacy won't get you in anywhere, either. Those students may be able to get in with slightly lower test scores and grades than other students (for various reasons, legitimate and not), but they still have to be solidly within the acceptable range for students at a school. An athlete or African American with a 2.7 and a 1400/2400 is not going to get into Penn or Harvard just on the basis of his or her "hook."

What's more important are personality and historical characteristics. Maybe an LGBT youth can tell the story of how he grew personally by learning to stand up to bullies who bullied him because of his sexual orientation, or write about learning to deal with the pain of being outcast by his family, or dealing with blending his religious family culture with his LGBT status. And of course, being LGBT is part of who he or she is -- identifying as LGBT is a bit different than just being attracted to someone who shares your biological sex. It's an identity that can be just as important as one's racial or gender or religious identity.
    · Reply · Share
  • itryitry 480 replies68 threads Member
    Of course if it changed your life, include it somehow. But just think about how many ignorant idiots would say they are LGBT just to get into college.
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 threads Senior Member
    Well itry: there's not a paucity of people who are looking for any edge possible in competitive college admissions. However, your hypothesis that declaring fake LGBT status to get an edge is faulty given everything that's been stated on this thread. They would be "ignorant idiots" as no benefit could be gained. Thus, I doubt if this is any way a common strategy by anyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • stephennnstephennn 2085 replies18 threads Senior Member
    i don't think it should give you any edge in college admissions at all, for a lot of the aforementioned reasons.

....and i'm gay.
    · Reply · Share
  • rmadden15rmadden15 2415 replies93 threads Senior Member
    ^ Ew, gay people.

Anyways, I don't think it should give you an edge, however, URMs get in all the time based on their race AKA a factor byond their control. This is rather obnoxious that people get in on things other than achievements, making afirmative action flawed, especially because it does not cover all minorities, such as the LGBT community. Oh well, so it goes...
    · Reply · Share
  • BananaSandwich15BananaSandwich15 519 replies26 threads Member
    Who are you to say the URMs accepted aren't accomplished?

anyway i actually would consider homosexuals to be underrep, but i doubt the admins will agree
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity