Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is homosexuality considered a minority?

124»

Replies to: is homosexuality considered a minority?

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,735 Super Moderator
    This is stupid.

Are LGBT students minorities? Yes, of course they are. LGBT students are in the minority at every college and university across the country.

Are LGBT students underrepresented minorities at college and universities? There's no way to tell, because most colleges don't keep track of how many LGBT students attend their school. It's not really easy to count since not all students are comfortable with coming out and they don't even ask about it on applications or student surveys. Likely, they are underrepresented, but there's no way to tell.

Will stating that you are LGBT help you get into college? Depends on the school, but probably not. But then again, simply being African American or an athlete or a legacy won't get you in anywhere, either. Those students may be able to get in with slightly lower test scores and grades than other students (for various reasons, legitimate and not), but they still have to be solidly within the acceptable range for students at a school. An athlete or African American with a 2.7 and a 1400/2400 is not going to get into Penn or Harvard just on the basis of his or her "hook."

What's more important are personality and historical characteristics. Maybe an LGBT youth can tell the story of how he grew personally by learning to stand up to bullies who bullied him because of his sexual orientation, or write about learning to deal with the pain of being outcast by his family, or dealing with blending his religious family culture with his LGBT status. And of course, being LGBT is part of who he or she is -- identifying as LGBT is a bit different than just being attracted to someone who shares your biological sex. It's an identity that can be just as important as one's racial or gender or religious identity.
  • itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    Of course if it changed your life, include it somehow. But just think about how many ignorant idiots would say they are LGBT just to get into college.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Well itry: there's not a paucity of people who are looking for any edge possible in competitive college admissions. However, your hypothesis that declaring fake LGBT status to get an edge is faulty given everything that's been stated on this thread. They would be "ignorant idiots" as no benefit could be gained. Thus, I doubt if this is any way a common strategy by anyone.
  • stephennnstephennn Registered User Posts: 2,103 Senior Member
    i don't think it should give you any edge in college admissions at all, for a lot of the aforementioned reasons.

....and i'm gay.
  • rmadden15rmadden15 Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    ^ Ew, gay people.

Anyways, I don't think it should give you an edge, however, URMs get in all the time based on their race AKA a factor byond their control. This is rather obnoxious that people get in on things other than achievements, making afirmative action flawed, especially because it does not cover all minorities, such as the LGBT community. Oh well, so it goes...
  • BananaSandwich15BananaSandwich15 Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    Who are you to say the URMs accepted aren't accomplished?

anyway i actually would consider homosexuals to be underrep, but i doubt the admins will agree
This discussion has been closed.