right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

is homosexuality considered a minority?

jtm2292jtm2292 188 replies74 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 262 Junior Member
edited June 2009 in College Admissions
I hate to ask such a strange and stupid question, but is homosexuality considered a minority?
edited June 2009
51 replies
Post edited by jtm2292 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: is homosexuality considered a minority?

• Hannah LeeHannah Lee 39 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    no, it is not considered a minority
    · Reply · Share
  • rmadden15rmadden15 2415 replies93 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    Hahahahaha, boy do I wish. Hello Ivy League! :P
    · Reply · Share
  • jennieblue22jennieblue22 376 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 408 Member
    Hahahahaha, boy do I wish. Hello Ivy League! :P
    lol, can't even imagine how many seniors would fake it just for the sake of college admissions! i know i would! (just kidding! but the idea is funny!)
    and to the religious conservatives: come on, you KNOW that selling yourself to the devil is sooo worth it if you get into harvard :D
    · Reply · Share
  • KtkKtk 290 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 304 Member
    That's like asking if being a Democrat is a minority.
    · Reply · Share
  • jennieblue22jennieblue22 376 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 408 Member
    Not really, because unlike... uh... nontraditional relationships... about half the country is Democrat
    and besides... i'm yet to hear of a religion that places a ban on affiliating oneself with the Democratic party!
    whereas most major religions ban or discourage nontraditional marriage, at least according to word of scriptures
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4724 replies93 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,817 Senior Member
    ... i'm yet to hear of a religion that places a ban on affiliating oneself with the Democratic party!
    This is pretty close:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe-election-politics/720108-liberty-university-bans-college-democrats.html
    · Reply · Share
  • hopeandambitionhopeandambition 171 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    um im going to have to say that it will help you with prestigious universities. diversity is something all colleges, and as gays slowly gain more rights and become more socially acceptable, colleges will admit more gays.
    · Reply · Share
  • LasMaLasMa 10768 replies138 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member

Well... not exactly. We choose our political parties.
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    "um im going to have to say that it will help you with prestigious universities. diversity is something all colleges, and as gays slowly gain more rights and become more socially acceptable, colleges will admit more gays."

Ummm... the prestigious colleges have huge nos. of LGBTG student applicants already --- given this, how can this be an advantage? I disagree.

To the OP, best of luck to you but sexual orientation isn't weighed better/worse than any other aspect of your file.
    · Reply · Share
  • silverturtlesilverturtle 12415 replies81 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Yes, being homosexual renders you a minority. But it does not help you in college admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • toadstooltoadstool 1107 replies38 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,145 Senior Member
    It does at Smith and Mount Holyoke
    · Reply · Share
  • ConnieKangConnieKang 58 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    LOL homosexual is not minority in Smith or MHC
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    toadstool: I know that Smith and Holyoke (as well as many other LACs and other colleges) are very accomodating and welcoming to LGBTG students as evidenced by the strong communities they have on campus. However, that doesn't necessarily constitute any admissions preference to this sub-group over others. To me it's a chicken-egg argument. LGBTG applicants target schools that they know are positive environments -- more get accepted -- it's numbers, not school preference in admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • be_somebodybe_somebody 471 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 488 Member
    "um im going to have to say that it will help you with prestigious universities. diversity is something all colleges, and as gays slowly gain more rights and become more socially acceptable, colleges will admit more gays."

How will colleges even know the student is gay if he or she doesn't mention it on her application? That makes no sense at all. And as somebody has already mentioned, there's a substantial number of LGBT students in top colleges, without the institutions going out of their way to admit them.

OP, while homosexuality is not considered a minority, it could be a point to consider for a possible essay topic. Be warned though, there have been a lot of "the struggles as a gay teenager" essays lately.
    · Reply · Share
  • silverturtlesilverturtle 12415 replies81 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    "homosexuality is not considered a minority"

As I stated, homosexual people are indeed part of a minority.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity