Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I want to know about college!

itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
edited May 2009 in College Admissions
Hello, my first thread!

Im pretty freaked out about my freshman year because I have a 3.5 gpa currently (although I have 2 border lines, so I can get a 3.7 or even a 3.8/3.9 if i push both of them enough). Im not being negative, im just putting out a worst case scenario. I want to go to a good engineering school. I will probably ED to Cornell or Carnegie Mellon but I would like to go to UCLA or UC Berkley as well. I was wondering if Cornell looks at Freshman gpa, and if you do better following years if that will improve my chances of getting in.

For ECs im doing Robotics next year and maybe some other stuff (private at the moment because Im not sure if everything will work out ok) so dont judge me on those yet. Trust me, I will show passion for engineering. Also, does working with a Veterinarian or similar things help get into engineering schools?

Im basically looking to see what I need to focus on and what Im doing right.

Also, could you compare UC-Berkley, UCLA, UCSD, UMich, Cornell, and Carnegie Mellon socially and academically?

THANKS!
Post edited by itry on

Replies to: I want to know about college!

• DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    I was wondering if Cornell looks at Freshman gpa,

Almost all competitive schools look at freshman gpa, but... (see next)
    and if you do better following years if that will improve my chances of getting in.

...upward improvement can definitely remedy a less impressive freshman year, though there's nothing horrible about yours. This would be a different problem if you were a junior and you were telling us your grades have dropped by a whole point since freshman year.
    Also, does working with a Veterinarian or similar things help get into engineering schools?

Anything can help get into an engineering school. What you want to do is find activities that you enjoy, put a lot of work and effort into them, and be able to present fully on your application what you have learned from it and how it has changed you into a young adult capable of tackling a tough engineering school.
  • itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    Thanks! I play sports outside of school which is what helps alot of kids get into Ivies and the like. But I want to be like the varsity "engineer" (dont judge me!). I am going to put my all into next year. I went to a few college meetings and they said things like upward trends look good. UCs and UMich dont even calculate them.
    I want to take engineering programs in those schools over the next summers.
    (BTW i dont live in Mich or Cal)
  • ChasingStarlightChasingStarlight Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    no one will judge you for that on CC. also, you're a freshman? You should keep this website from taking over your life for another couple years or so.
    LOL I could c that happening
    I hear 1st generation helps a bit but what exactly is it?
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    Being 1st generation means neither of your parents attended college. It usually helps applicants.
This discussion has been closed.