Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does UC Validation raise your grade?

novalord2novalord2 Registered User Posts: 514 Member
edited July 2009 in College Admissions
For example: getting a D first semester but getting an A second semester, do i retain the grade point value for the D, or does count as a C?
Post edited by novalord2 on

Replies to: Does UC Validation raise your grade?

• itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    i think semester doesnt matter, only final grade.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,810 Senior Member
    what matters is what is on your transcript.
  • novalord2novalord2 Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    bumpppppppppp
    i know there must be someone here who knows
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • pamavisionpamavision Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    This might answer your question:

University of California - Counselors
    nova:

your question is unclear...are you asking about your UC gpa calculation? Or, just validation for completion of the a-g requirements? Is your second semester a repeat of the first, or truly the second semester of the same course?
    my second semester is truly the 2nd semester of a course that has been approved for validation.

my question is if validation raises your grade; does the D still count as a D, if its been validated?
  • bessiebessie Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Well you obviously are not a recent high school graduate so you have time to figure this out. If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if your D will be looked at as a C due to "validation," or weighting. The UC's weight the GPA as a whole, giving each student the appropriate amount of points up to the maximum allowed. When you list your courses on the application, you will still have to put each class and the corresponding grade by semester, so the D will be seen by the admissions people. Can you retake the semester and replace your D grade, either at the HS or at a CC? People do get in with an occasional D, depending on the selectivity of which UC campus the applicant wishes to attend. You should ask your GC at the HS to check on this for you. I know most public high schools do not have GC's who are helping much with college admissions, but they can easily obtain this type of information if you ask them to. Good luck.
    Thanks for the help, but does that mean that my UC GPA is calculated with the C and not the D?
    Both grades included in UC gpa. From link provided by pamavision (just change Spanish to Chem):

If a student earns a D in the first semester of Spanish 1, would a grade of C or better in the second semester validate the first-semester grade?

Yes. A grade of C in the second semester of Spanish 1 validates the first semester. Both grades are used in calculating the GPA for the Scholarship Requirement.
This discussion has been closed.