Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Questions about my AP scores?! PLEASE ANSWER!

kiwi44kiwi44 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited July 2009 in College Admissions
Questions about my AP scores?! PLEASE ANSWER!
I am a incoming high school senior from New Hampshire. In my high school, most of the classes that would be AP anywhere else, are instead college classes (These means I take college classes taught at my high school and get college credit). Therefore, the curriculum does not exactly prepare us for the AP exam. Despite this, in the past two years, I have taken and gotten the following AP exams and scores:

Biology (3)
Calc BC (2)
Psychology (3)
APUSH (3)
Chemistry (3)
Calc AB (4)

Obviously these are not impressive at all, and my grades in the corresponding college classes were much better, ranging from A+ to B at a reputable high school. My GPA is around 3.5, all my grades average at B+/A-, I am in the top 10% (5.5% percentile to be exact) of my class, I am actively involved in the community/volunteering/extracurriculars-in other words everything but my AP scores are pretty solid. SAT II's:
Chemistry: 690
Math II: 710
Biology M: 700
I am planning to apply to Columbia, Brown, NYU, BU, UConn, and UMass. Here are my questions:

1) Do we have to show our AP exam scores on our transcript for admissions?

2) How badly will these scores look on my transcript during college admissions?

3) How badly will it look if I ONLY report my AP Calc AB score, even if I took six college classes that are meant to substitute these AP classes?

4) How will these scores affect my chances of being admitted into the colleges listed above, ESPECIALLY Columbia and the UConn 8-year Medical program?

Thank you!
Post edited by kiwi44 on

Replies to: Questions about my AP scores?! PLEASE ANSWER!

• zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,921 Senior Member
    Do you know what your high school presents on your transcript? That can vary hugely and as a matter of course, you should see that transcript and make sure it's correct ASAP. Those grades will look absolutely fine, AP scores are not a large part of admission, but the fact that you have taken rigorous courses is excellent in your favor. You have to know that the super-top schools on your list are a reach for everyone, so that is what it is. Otherwise, you've got some excellent choices there and seem to have a grasp on balance.

There's just one little thing I'd like to mention. Pardon my presumption, since you didn't ask, ok? The college classes you took at your high school will not translate into college credit at almost all colleges. They generally don't accept for credit (except the partner institution) classes taken on the high school campus that were part of the high school GPA. You can check with your individual colleges' websites, but that's generally the case.
  • titanium101titanium101 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Well colleges won't see your ap scores until you get into the college and they mainly use it just for placement reasons. But many people report some of their best scores on their application. If you report, it obviously shows that you have taken a rigorous curriculum. Yeah, the scores don't seem that great. I guess you can just report the calc ab score.
    For the universities you're talking about those scores and the gpas just don't seem like the ones to get you in. UMass, NYU and UConn seem doable though.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Registered User Posts: 6,208 Senior Member
    If I recall correctly, the few schools that ask for AP scores on their college applications ONLY request those for AP courses taken. If your HS has a policy of putting AP Test Scores on the transcript than you need to work with your GC to get them off. Otherwise i think you're fine ... just report the college courses and the grades you got.

As for getting accepted to Columbia, Brown and UConn 8-year Medical program, I think you've done all you can, with the exception of making sure your essays and recommendations are top rate.
This discussion has been closed.