Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Disoriented Student

CBscrewedmeCBscrewedme Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited July 2009 in College Admissions
I would have been dissapointed with a 4 on my AP Biology exam, but apparently I got a 1.
I have to check it again and again to see if it's true.

How much would this affect applying to Cornell if I got an 800 SAT II Biology M?
Post edited by CBscrewedme on

Replies to: Disoriented Student

• NewHope33NewHope33 Registered User Posts: 6,208 Senior Member
    Insufficient information to respond. How many other AP classes taken? What were scores on those AP tests?
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,666 Senior Member
    Don't send any of your AP scores. D got into 7 colleges without sending hers including NYU, Barnard, Brandeis and GW. They are generally asked for once you have been accepted for placement or exemption from classes. Unless they are going to help get you into a school, I would not volunteer them. D got a 2 in Physics her junior year, so there was no point in sending it, even though it was her physics teacher who wrote one of her letters of recommendation.

Remember that most students take the bulk of their AP classes during senior year. They get those results way past admission decision time.
  • CCSurferCCSurfer Registered User Posts: 333 Junior Member
    Have you checked on the possibility of having the exam rescored? Is there a way to make a formal appeal on an AP score? Given your 800 on the SATII, one would assume there was a problem. Is it possible that part of your AP exam was lost or considered unreadable? Is it possible that your exam was mixed up with someone else's? Will the CB provide you with a part of an answer or a paragraph from the test they're attributing to you so you can see if it is, indeed, your handwriting and your test? Can you get your scores on each of the test items, to be sure that CB received and scored all of the items, and that there weren't missing pages? Will the AP coordinator at your high school make inquiries for you? If not, I think you would be wise to find out the procedure to appeal/request a rescore and get the ball rolling, first determining if the AP test that was scored is 1)actually yours and 2)the complete test, without missing sections.
  • sharonohiosharonohio Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    One other suggestion. Do you know how well other students of your teacher with similar grades in that class did? Namely, if others who got A's from the teacher ended up with 1's than you can have a good guess that there was something wrong with the curriculum or method of teaching. If you did well in the class and others who did well in the class got much higher scores, than I would follow thrgough with the suggestions above and get the test scored again.
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    DID you receive an 800 on the SAT2 or are you planning to get an 800? it's very hard to do, so if you received an 800....wow!
    Definitely check into having the AP exam rescored...could you have skipped a bubble somewhere or something similar? Were you very confident when answering the exam questions?
  • M's MomM's Mom Registered User Posts: 4,562 Senior Member
    Could be a mistake here: There were two different versions of the math AP given to my S's class and he was distracted and accidentally wrote the wrong test version on his score sheet. He got a 1 on the multiple choice. When they rescored, he got a 4. It happens...
This discussion has been closed.