Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I don't have a green card. How does this effect me?

bl3hblahbl3hbl3hblahbl3h Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in College Admissions
How does not having a green card effect my college admission? I have a H4 visa and have been living in the States for 3 years. I am a Canadian citizen.
Post edited by bl3hblahbl3h on

Replies to: I don't have a green card. How does this effect me?

  • bl3hblahbl3hbl3hblahbl3h Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Anyone know?
  • MillancadMillancad Registered User Posts: 5,941 Senior Member
    A guy I know who was Chinese citizen had a problem with his green card and couldn't go to college out of the state, but other than that, I don't know. It didn't affect his admissions, just where he could go since he couldn't take care of it in time. But, he is, seriously, he really, really is, a genius, and I'm sure he'll be amazing, no matter the rank of the college he's attending.
  • Silverzc413Silverzc413 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    you won't be able to apply early action/decision to some schools if you're not a permanent resident/citizen. Other than that, there may be some exceptions with financial aid that you'd have to ask the particular schools you're applying to.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,711 Senior Member
    A green card would make you a permanent resident for admissions and financial aid. So you would be in the US pool for admissions and financial aid, and you would be eligible to file FAFSA for federal financial aid.

    An H4 visa does not make you a permanent resident. I believe for most schools you would be considered an international applicant for both admissions and financial aid. But you need to check with each school as I think some schools treat you as not International. You would not be eligible for FAFSA.
  • bl3hblahbl3hbl3hblahbl3h Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    What is FAFSA?
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Registered User Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    swimcatsmom's right, unfortunately you'll be considered an international student at most schools and would not be eligible for FAFSA, which is "Free Application for Federal Student Aid", which one needs in order to apply for financial aid at a college.
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Registered User Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    I can kind of sympathize because my family didn't have green card several years ago either, (thank goodness we now do), and I have a friend who faced a similar situation as you. You sound like you're not going to be applying for college right away... well, hopefully you get your green card when the time comes!
  • gqunitgqunit Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    As a person who went through the admissions process without a green card, I can confirm:

    Green Card - You are in the domestic pool.
    No Green Card - Tough luck. You are in the international pool, even if you have gone through elementary, middle, and high school in the States. This means tougher admissions and probably no financial aid.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,812 Senior Member
    You are Canadian. Take a very long hard look at the fine (and almost always less expensive than peer institutions in the US) colleges and universities in Canada.

    You also need to find out whether or not you qualify for in-state tuition at the public colleges/universities/community colleges in the state where you are living. Each state has its own policy about this.

    If you use the CollegeBoard.com college search feature, you can select for price ranges for in-state and out-of-state tuition/fees. Once you know how much your family can actually pay, you can look for affordable institutions.
This discussion has been closed.