Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT essay score - how important is it?

ait415ait415 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited October 2009 in College Admissions
Hi,
I recently took the SATs for the first time, and got a 780 on the writing section.
I was fine with the score until I found that I got a 9 on the essay score, because I read somewhere that some of the Ivies use the essay score separately for admissions.
I'm not sure how good a 9 on the essay is, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to retake the SAT just to get a higher essay score.
How important is the essay score in reality?
Post edited by ait415 on

Replies to: SAT essay score - how important is it?

• raelahraelah Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the essay score not even included on the report sent to colleges?

Don't worry.
  • maruhan2maruhan2 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    of course they are included
    in fact the colleges can even read those essays
  • raelahraelah Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    OK, I'm wrong then. But either way, it doesn't matter. 780 is amazing regardless of the essay score. The OP should be very happy.
  • ait415ait415 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    ok, I was just a bit scared by the fact that the essay scores were used for admission, placement, etc. and that they could actually read the essays. but my overall score was 2340 and I didn't know if a retake would be worth it for the essay score.
  • Ellie7Ellie7 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    I wouldn't retake...many schools (mostly upper-tier and LACs) actually don't take the essay seriously because it doesn't require higher-level writing ability. Its not thought, its format and blah
This discussion has been closed.