Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is is stupid to stress over this?

kaebug92kaebug92 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited October 2009 in College Admissions
I finished my early decision app to Emory today. I sent my supplement about a month ago via mail. I am now stressing over the possiblility that it got lost in the mail and I won't know if they recieved it until after the deadline (tomorrow) in 10 business days. Please tell me this type on anxiety and stress is normal even after hitting submit.
Post edited by kaebug92 on

Replies to: Is is stupid to stress over this?

• nmcm007nmcm007 Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    It is, I know I am stressed out. My recommendation letters were sent Thursday, a week after all of my other documents were sent and received. The LoR are what remain for my app. to be complete and they will not make the deadline of November 1st. However, the schools I applied to have a postmark deadline: anything postmarked before and up to Nov 1st are considered EA even if the documents are received much later. Long story short, check to see if the school that you applied to has a postmark deadline of Nov. 1st or a mandatory deadline (everything must be received by the deadline). A lot of schools are moving to postmark deadlines because they realize snail mail is slow, sometimes real slow that making the deadline is almost impossible unless it is sent a month prior.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    OP: I assume your supplement is an essential item that Emory needs to review for your ED app, right? If by some chance it never arrived, when they open up your just submitted app and see it's missing -- they'll contact you.

They aren't there to ding you just because of serendipity. Believe it or not, they want to admit you.

Your ED app doesn't just go into the shredder because it is incomplete (which I know you know isn't very likely)

ncm: same for you. Even if a LoR isn't in your file, the school will call your teacher for a copy before evaluating your application. They aren't in the business to frivolously bounce applicants.

Basic advice for both of you: chillax. Enjoy your senior year.
  • TowardToward Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    You could always email them and ask, if you haven't already. Be sure to be very courteous and explain the situation well, and keep it brief. Often the same person you email will be the one reading your application.
  • kaebug92kaebug92 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I had everything postmarked today regarding recs and transcripts.
    I can submit the supplement online but I feel like I should be ok with the supplement hopefully already there. would it be a bad idea to submit the supplement twice once via mail and once online?

T26E4 - thanks its nice to hear reassurance
    Toward - I did email Emory but I recieved the general message of you can check your application status online 10 days after submitting your application.
  • YurtleYurtle Registered User Posts: 850 Member
    What Toward said! But you can call too. :)

I just had to fax a document to a college I'm visiting telling them i'd be there, and my fax machine is quite old, and I wasn't sure it worked properly, so I called them up to be sure it arrived. :3
This discussion has been closed.