Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When is it suitable to include an activities list?

Ellie7Ellie7 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
edited October 2009 in College Admissions
Hi,
I'm preparing to submit an EA application at Notre Dame. I've been tossing around the idea of submitting an activities list, and I wanted some advice as to whether I should or not.

My school really encourages people to submit resumes/activity lists, but I've been reading here that its generally frowned upon.

Specifically, the reason I wanted to was because I do a lot of activities that require explanation and a description of what I do within them. I don't have a lot of ECs, but within the ones I have I do a large number of roles.

I really don't have many activities I'd be including on the list that aren't already on the common app, but I would be using it more for just organization and clarity. But if its going to irritate adcoms, I don't want to include it....

Any thoughts?
Post edited by Ellie7 on

Replies to: When is it suitable to include an activities list?

• Hopeful_UnderdogHopeful_Underdog Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    I highly recommend that you do submit an activities list. I don't think it's a good idea to list a ton of superficial activities, but I think it's always good to really make sure a college knows that and how you have been involved in school/your community/whatever else you do. I think in your situation particularly, an activity list is key. Otherwise, schools might wonder why your list of activities is so short. Colleges need to know that you are heavily involved in what you do. This way you can demonstrate passion and schools will know you don't sit around at home everyday doing homework and watching TV.

Best of luck! Hope I helped.
  • Ellie7Ellie7 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    Ok, thanks!
    Should I put hours/week on the list as well?
  • Hopeful_UnderdogHopeful_Underdog Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    Yeah, definitely. Otherwise colleges might assume you devote very little time.
This discussion has been closed.