Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

EC'S that are different

2»

Replies to: EC'S that are different

• znd824znd824 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    My numbers are off, as i was typing this I was looking at the amount left for use in my ETRADE account. There is about 3500 dollars left to spent, so I just rounded the number and oddly enough created the impression that I was a **** and bullsh1thing. However, the account was managed by my parental guardian until I was able to understand it, granted i did have a rather large portfolio to start with but yes, I am taking credit because I navigated us out of the crash so that is the reason I take credit.
  • madison90madison90 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Oh I see. If YOU actually sold and bought continually to get where you are now, and getting yourself to not lose money, then, yes, it's an EC. I thought you meant your Dad bought the stocks for you when you were 4 and you never really touched the it, besides bragging about how much money you have. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Diddnt mean to come off snobby, or like a jerk just correcting my error. And theres a kid who at 15 with a 50,000 portfolio, he had an article written on him on CNN/NBC/MSN one of those. He lives in Illinois and said hes saving up to buy a bunch of Nike shoes.
  • madison90madison90 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    You didn't sound jerky or snobby. I just thought that by what you said about your Dad buying the stocks for you at age 4, and you said nothing else about really getting something done by yourself about the portfolio, that you just thought great of yourself just because of your Dad or this money that wasn't really yours if you put effort in it. But you did put effort in it, so that does not make you something in when it comes to your portfolio.
  • kameronsmithkameronsmith Registered User Posts: 1,691 Senior Member
    I wouldn't do it.

It would smell very strongly of a rich kid who parents gave stocks and coddled. Whether this is true or not, that's what colleges will think. Especially since your parents are clearly quite wealthy.
  • qialahqialah Registered User Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    IMO you don't have an EC. What you have is a fabulous essay topic about something you are passionate about: Investing. If you've been managing your "college fund" for the last several years, write an essay that explain why and how you did what you did.
    I like your idea Qialah, very creative. I diddnt think it was an EC either, but I just wanted other opinions.
  • ishamigishamig Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    i agree with jamjamjam... business schools like babson would look highly upon this.
2»
This discussion has been closed.